Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: “Allow Access to External Media”

@SekhmetScion wrote:

If they specified it was only for the built-in media player, that'd be fine. If memory serves, a plural was used instead of a singular (apps, channels, etc).

That's because there are apps other than RMP that can play media from the USB port. So for legal reasons they have to cover them all. You people are simply reading something in this that isn't there. No app is going to be reading your drives for any reason other than playing media. There's no business reason for them to do so, so why expend the time, effort and cost to have an app do it?

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
wayn0r
Binge Watcher

I’m not especially conspiratorially-minded. It’s for the “media player” apps (plural) and nothing else until I see otherwise.

0 Kudos
zqmjadlzfltqdnp
Binge Watcher

Orrrrrr....they could just stop stealing your data

0 Kudos
Matty3
Reel Rookie

I have been trying to find a way to get rid of it every time I install my USB drive, but I don't know how. "To reset this setting please reconnect the external media." I don't know how to do that. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Matty3 wrote:

I have been trying to find a way to get rid of it every time I install my USB drive,

The only way to not have the message appear is to not disconnect your USB drive. Not the answer you want, I'm certain. But there is no way to turn it off. 

Dan

wayn0r
Binge Watcher

That just means the prompt should appear when you remove the device from the USB port on your device, but it doesn’t.

There are clearly a lot of bugs and necessary improvements to be made re: this setting.

0 Kudos
wayn0r
Binge Watcher

It’s especially fun if you actually haven’t removed your media at all and it’s just your Roku device that’s been off.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@wayn0r wrote:

It’s especially fun if you actually haven’t removed your media at all and it’s just your Roku device that’s been off.

I haven't seen that happen. I've had a couple of power failures from weather events in the last couple of months. I never sew the message appear when the Ultra rebooted. In fact, I just pulled the power on my Ultra and reconnected it. There's a USB drive connected to the port. No message after the reboot and I was able to use RMP and connect to the drive without any message. 

Dan

0 Kudos