Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Airplay Issue - Black screen appears when Airplaying any content from iOS device

Hi Community users, 

If you are experiencing Airplay related issues in which the Roku device displays a black screen when you Airplay content from an iOS device, please provide us with the following information:

-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
-when did you start seeing this issue occur
-any relevant screenshots that will help us understand what you are experiencing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass the information along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Tags (1)
29 REPLIES 29
Tunnelsunshine
Reel Rookie

Airplay not working on Roku - just a black loading screen

I have previously used airplay with my Roku but, now trying to use it again a few months later from the last time, it just doesn’t work. It’ll connect and seem to load up my connected video (Udemy) but, when I hit play, it just sits on a black loading screen and does nothing. I’ve completely reloaded the Roku, my phone, reset the pairing, turned airplay on/off, made sure it’s up to date, reset my modem and they are on the same network - nothing is working! Here is my device info:

Model - 3810X roku streaming stick +
serial - yh00gm775479

software - 10.5.0

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Airplay not working on Roku - just a black loading screen

Hi @Tunnelsunshine,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. If you are still experiencing an issue with your Roku device that is not working with Airplay, please provide us with additional information:
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
Once we have this information we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team.

Best regards,
Mary

andcamhi
Reel Rookie

@RokuMary-F 

Sent a private message with all the information requested.

0 Kudos
Tunnelsunshine
Reel Rookie

Device ID - 2130cg775479

Software - 10.5.0 build 4208-50

Tracker ID - 79-146-852

using an iPhone 13 pro max and the Udemy app. Open a course video to play, hit the airplay cast button on my phone, choose my Roku stick to use for airplay, the airplay opens and recognizes the video, then press play on my phone and just get a black loading screen, nothing happens, nothing plays. Just sits on that screen. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Mugiwara

Re: Airplay Issue - Black screen appears when Airplaying any content from iOS device

When trying to airplay the udemy app from my iPhone I keep getting a black loading screen but the video never plays on the Roku.image.jpg

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Airplay Issue - Black screen appears when Airplaying any content from iOS device

@Tunnelsunshine @Mugiwara 

Thanks for the posts and providing us with your information.

I have passed along the information to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. Once more information is available, I'll make sure to update this thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

I have the same problem!

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @MyDeviceisSad,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

Can you please provide us with more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? How long has the issue been occurring? What are you seeing on screen? Can you provide a screenshot of the issue you are experiencing? What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue? 

As a first step, we recommend starting here to troubleshoot Airplay issues: How to use AirPlay and HomeKit with your Roku® streaming device | Official Roku Support

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Tunnelsunshine
Reel Rookie

Any updates here??? It’s been two months with no new information. I even got a brand new phone and a brand new Roku in this time - and it’s still doing the same. I’ve tried everything at this point and multiple other people are having the same issues. I think you need to find a better resolve here as there is clearly a problem between Roku and Airplay! I even tried the steps that you’ve newly posted on how to get Udemy to work with airplay, still did not work. I did it twice. Absolutely nothing works. Roku and Airplay just do not work - at least especially with Udemy so maybe you should look more into your systems compared to what we are doing wrong as consumers.