Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dondoveeb

Adjust position of subtitles for widescreen movies

Hi,

I use a 2:35.1 Cinemascope screen to watch movies which are presented in widescreen.  However, whenever their are subtitles, they appear in the black area below the film's image.  I need to adjust the position of subtitles so they're within the widescreen frame and as opposed to in the black area at the bottom.  

Can you help me?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Re: Adjust position of subtitles for widescreen movies

First of all it depends are you using a Roku TV or a Roku device? What size is your TV? How old is your TV? Which Roku model do you own?

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@dondoveeb 

DMCP placement would suggest that if the area below the frame of the image is always available to the viewer, then that's where it would go, with rare exceptions.

Placement there suggests that the actual video presented includes black bars to emulate the 2.35:1 ratio, and that it's actually 16:9 or something similar. If the video was actually 2.35:1, and the standards are followed, it would be in the image rather than below.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@dondoveeb 

This (subtitle/CC positioning) is controlled by the specific app/content being used/streamed (there is no global setting), so you'd need to contact the specific app/content developer about it.

If you do think there should be a global CC/subtitle positioning setting, you should request it:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Suggest-a-Feature/bd-p/Wishlist