Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blueberry
Reel Rookie

4k stick with Samsung smart tv reset always required

I have 4k stick trying to get to work with a 2016 Samsung smart tv. I have no issues activating account after setup.  Channels load and so does app store.  I turn tv off then awhile later I turn on again.  All I get is the dancing Roku name and the remote will note respond.  Just sits. I have to use reset button to start all over.  Chat expert told me to change setting for power saver so I disabled that.  Went through activation again.  This time it worked twice - tv on for hour, off for hour and it came back on both times.  Third time I am right back to the same problem again.  What do I try next or do I return device?  I installed same product on 2 other non smart tvs and those work correctly.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: 4k stick with Samsung smart tv reset always required

Are you using the supplied power adapter or the TV's USB port?  If the latter, try the supplied power adapter.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Blueberry
Reel Rookie

yes I am.  Have it hooked up exactly like the other TV's

0 Kudos
renojim

Hmm... if you're turning on the TV and seeing the start up animation then the Roku is resetting for some reason when you turn on the TV.  If you're using the supplied power adapter and just leaving it plugged in all the time that shouldn't happen.  Does the TV have multiple HDMI inputs that you can try?  You mentioned "same product" on other TVs.  Does that mean you have multiple Roku devices of the same model?  Have you tried swapping them around?

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
makaiguy

@Blueberry-

It sounds like the USB port on the TV that you are using to power your Roku is one that shuts down with the TV.  (Most TVs are that way but there are some tests whose USB ports stay powered up all the time.). So when you turn on the TV the Roku has to power up at the same time.  It becomes a race to see which completes its startup first.

If the TV reaches the point where it checks its HDMI ports to see what's attached before the Roku has started up far enough to respond to the port check the TV won't register that anything is connected.  Restarting the Roku forces a new port check and this time the Roku is found.

If the "race" is a close one you may find that sometimes the Roku wins and gets detected and sometimes the TV wins and the Roku doesn't get detected.  And on a different TV-Roku combination the race results could be altogether different.

As a work-around, see if just switching the TV input to a different port and back brings up the Roku more easily than forcing the Roku to restart.

The real solution is to power the Roku from a source that does not shut down with the TV, such as directly to house power through its USB power adapter, as already suggested by @renojim.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Blueberry
Reel Rookie

Definitely powered into wall outlet through adapter.  I am trying the troublesome stick on a different Samsung tv to see if I get different results.  Explanation about the power off to ports and how it differs from tv to tv is helpful.  I did try different HDMI ports initially but will focus on the power aspect more next time.  Thanks

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Blueberry

Thanks for the post.

If you are still experiencing an issue with your device factory resetting itself even when powering through the power adapter and wall outlet, can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Blueberry
Reel Rookie

My method of  resolution after trying the stick on 2 other tv's, I returned to Roku, bought a brand new stick, installed and it works without issue.  Guess the first one was a lemon. 

0 Kudos
TSKHERE

Nope. Seems to be an ongoing issue for many of us.  

0 Kudos