Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
prahalagu

Youtube app goes black after a few seconds

Jump to solution

Just got my first Roku. Youtube refuses to stream, I have uninstalled and reinstalled and updated and reset the roku multiple times. My internet is Excellent connection and download speed is Good. My roommate has an older Roku and she doesn’t have any issues.

Any help?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Youtube app goes black after a few seconds

Jump to solution

Welcome to the Roku community, @jkfisch!

Thank you for reporting the Youtube channel issue, we are here to help.

If the issue is specific to one channel, please try the following steps and see if they make any difference.

• Remove the channel: Open the options menu by pressing the Star * button on the highlighted channel tile from your home screen. Select Remove channel and confirm.
  • Restart your Roku device: Restart the device from the settings menu. Go to Settings > System > System Restart > Restart.
  • Re-install the channel: After restarting your Roku device, go to the Roku Channel Store and re-add the channel.
  • Update the channel: On the channel tile, press the star * and select check for channel updates.

For additional troubleshooting, please visit our support website on How to resolve channel playback issues.

If you are still experiencing difficulties with the YouTube app, we recommend contacting the channel provider directly for further assistance. 

If you have any other questions, please keep us updated!

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
34 REPLIES 34
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @prahalagu,

Thanks for sharing this concern with us.

We understand the issues you've been having with YouTube. We'll do our best to help.

May we know if the issue persists only with this particular app? Or was it happening across channels on your device? Did you follow the proper channel reboot sequence to clear the app cache? If not, please do so by following the steps below:

• Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press the Star button to open the options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
  • Restart your Roku device: Restart the device from the settings menu. Go to Settings > System > System Restart > Restart.
  • Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

Ultimately, if the issue persists with the YouTube app, we'd recommend contacting the channel provider directly for further assistance, as this may be a known issue on their end.

Please inform us of what you find out.

Sincerely,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I have the same problem. But mine started this morning, after casting it to Roku via AirPlay. Now, using the Roku YouTube App the screen goes black until I use a direction key on the Roku remote. I have reset/removed/reinstalled the Roku app to no avail. I’ve closed the app on my IPhone. I’ve shutdown my iPhone and tried the Roku YouTube app, and the screen still goes black. Very frustrating! 

RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @PopsInDenton,

Thanks for flagging with us the issue when using the YouTube App on your Roku device. We want to learn more about this.

Have you tried using a different network, like a mobile hotspot, to see if you're still seeing the same issue occur? If there's no improvement, get back here and provide us with the details below.

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About) mobile device brand, model, and OS
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
  • errors that you are experiencing on screen.
  • Can you provide a video or screenshot of the issue you're experiencing?

Please keep us posted!

Best regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
b2conn
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Nov. 2, 2023: I have the same issue. I see this has been going on for months in your forum; but my issue just started today, immediately after updating the Roku.
Issue: launch Youtube on Roku Express 4k+, Just 2 seconds after launching the screen goes black & no sound, and it won't come back unless you press an arrow key on the remote, then it displays for 2 more seconds, then goes black again.
Tried: all the noted tips from this forum: nothing worked. Youtube is impossible to watch on Roku. The other apps I have on my Roku work just fine; only Youtube is crashing.
Mine: Roku Express 4k+
Model: 3941X
S/N: X01600SSPM8K
Device id: 507P514SPM8K
Software ver: 12.5.0
Build: 4178-CR
Tracker id: impossible to get; it just navigates and displays destination view instead of any id.

b2conn
Channel Surfer

Re: Youtube app goes black after a few seconds = Express4k

Jump to solution

Possible resolution:  I had same issue.  It's the Express 4k!  NOTE:  I swapped out my Express 4k (Model 3941X, software ver 12.5.0, build 4178-CR) for my old Roku 3 on my same LG tv, same HDMI cord, same remote as was for the Express 4k.  IT WORKS FINE!  NO ISSUES (although a little slower).   More notes:  I had also tried clearing cache, remove & re-install the Youtube app, reboot everything, and all in specific steps as outlined in other posts here = nada.

So ROKU techs:  it's your Express 4k that is messing up with Youtube.  Why is that?  Why ONLY Youtube when using the Express 4k and no other channels seem to be affected.  I hope this gives you a clue as to what to look into.  I'd rather use the Express 4k, but at least my Roku 3 works!
Thank you for 'listening'.

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @b2conn.

Thanks for providing us with the requested details. Rest assured that we will forward this to the appropriate Roku team for further review. 

Once we have further information and updates, we will make sure to let the Community know. In the meantime, we highly appreciate your patience and understanding as we work on this. 

Please let us know if there's anything else we can be of assistance with, or feel free to create a new thread for different concerns. We'd be more than happy to continue assisting you in the best way we can. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I have the same problem. I was thinking getting a new one, but seems like all roku express with software build 4178 has the same problem.

any solutions so far?

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @Sohailamiri

Greetings, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We're sorry to hear about your experience with the YouTube app having an issue with the display going out black. Let's try troubleshooting this first to see if it improves the situation. Kindly follow the steps below:

1. Navigate to the channel tile on the Roku home screen, press the star (*) key on your remote, and choose "Remove channel."
  2. Next, restart your device from Settings > System > Power > System Restart (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).
  3. Once your player/TV starts up again, go to "Streaming Store" on the Home screen, and add the channel back once more.
  4. You may also refer to this link: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support

After this, kindly observe if you notice any improvements.

Please keep us posted.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
liquidgecka
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Ultra that just started doing this a few weeks ago. Resetting the channel by removing and reinstalling doesn't help and neither does casting from a phone.

0 Kudos