Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cinditietjen
Level 7

Re: Roku TV flashing black screen

Jump to solution

How do you fix it

0 Kudos
KainaluO
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks so much! This solved my issue as well!! It kept going black whether I watched antenna tv or streaming movies, it was so irritating! Changing the picture mode fixed it. Although I’m not sure what picture mode I’m on, because my tv froze at saying “low power mode” for picture mode, although I’ve moved it to the tight and left and it still says the same...anyways it’s better now, at least I can watch something without it going black. 

0 Kudos
SkipperWayne
Level 7

Frequent black screen (Reset?)

Jump to solution

Brand new Roku Express +. Screen goes black frequently, even when just sitting at the menu.  It's as if it is constantly resetting or refreshing. If I don't get an answer soon, I'm going to return it and forget TV.  

0 Kudos
Sharayah87
Level 7

Jump to solution

Mine is doing the same thing....how did you fix it?

0 Kudos
Queeeksdraw
Level 8

Jump to solution

I replaced an older model Roku unit with the new, top of the line model; same set up and equipment except for this new Roku unit. Now I have this intermittent black screen problem also. It occurs in all modes( streaming, menu etc ). It is temporarily remedied by unplugging the Roku and then plugging it back in; works every time. Temporarily. In reading Tanner’s replies, it seems like he couldn’t possibly conceive that it’s a Roku unit problem, only some other company’s faulty product. I disagree. Tanner, how about considering that it’s a Roku problem and give us some suggestions in that context ?  We would appreciate it very much. 

Mikintana
Level 7

Jump to solution

I posted in here a while ago with this flashing black screen problem. Since I've fixed it, I can give some more information about what was causing it.

It had nothing to do with the Roku device, believe it or not, it was my TVs backlight that was failing. If one or more LEDs fail on your TV, it can cause the screen to flash black periodically. I only noticed this problem because I plugged in a new device (the Roku), so the TV automatically cranked its backlight setting higher, then my TV started flashing black. When I enabled the "game mode" on my TV settjngs, it lowered the backlight setting and the flashing stopped (but it only temporarily fixed it). A few weeks later, it started flashing black again. I managed to live with it by manually lowering my backlight setting down, but that of course made the image look darker, at least it stopped the flashing.

Bottom line, if your TV is flashing, return it, if you can, and get your money back because either the main power board is faulty, or some of the LEDs are failing. Check your LEDs by pulling up a white image and look for any dark patches on your TV screen. Those are where the LEDs are not working. I had that TV for over 7 years, so I finally decided to get a new one, and no more flashing screen.

0 Kudos
Queeeksdraw
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for the suggestion, but that wasn’t it. It’s strange that only disconnecting the power cord remedies it.  Restarting the unit has no effect either. No adjustments to any equipment in the network affects it either. Only unplugging it. 

guyfroml
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have the same issue where ONLY when I'm watching something through my Roku do I get those 3 second black outs.  It does not happen when watching TV in any other source (not my U-verse, not Amazon, not blu-ray, not even Chromecast).  And like you, I prefer to enjoy watching my TV programming in "Dynamic" mode.  And while you might have solved the problem, what I don't think you realize is this speaks poorly of Roku.  Why should I have to change my setting to "Standard" just because Roku is the only source where this problem occurs.  I think it was lousy for a Roku rep to suggest you contact your TV manufacturer when the problem apparently likes with Roku.  It is Roku that needs to figure out how to resolve this problem with customers who watching programming through their device, not the other way around.  You can't expect everyone else to make an adjustment for only one product.

JHenrySlentz
Level 8

Jump to solution

It's not Roku. It's the TV, I went through this and fixed the same issue being described.

Your LED strips are either:

1.   Not receiving enough power from the power supply module. In this case, every LED strip in your TV flashes intermittently or completely drops out but sound still comes through. Look up and do the flash light test. Depending on TV, this can be a very easy DYI project to replace the power supply board. The hardest part is getting the TV down and putting it back up, second hardest is getting the g*d*mn case back togther (took me an hour to get the back lined up perfectly so the screws fit...grrrr)

2. You have an LED strip going bad if one side or just one area of the TV is flashing especially when you have it in bright or vivid modes, which requires more power than the failing LEDs can handle, it's why it comes in bursts, power builds and releases. If you noticed when you turn the tv down to low power mode or drop the brightness..this flashing goes away? Replacing LED strips in a TV is REALLY dependent on the TV you have. On my TV (TCL 55US57) they are super easy to both test and replace, on my Toshiba, trying to replace LEDs caused it to find a new life at the recycling center.

To get to the point I did, I replaced the 3 boards that drive the tv and still had the flashing area (again, this can be super easy to do). I broke the TV down even further and with three 9-volt batteries placed in series (27volt), I quickly found the strip that was bad (it would light up at lesser voltage but totally crapped out at its highest voltage range). I ebay'd the strip, replaced it and all is good in bedroom tv land.

Johngl
Level 7

Jump to solution

I agree with assessment that this is a ROKU problem. I just purchased a ROKU Ulta and a premiere replacing the digital tuners I had with my cable company. Having never experienced a problem with those timers. I downloaded the Spectrum app (my cable provider) and have been very happy with the resultant of streaming. However shortly thereafter running the Ulta unit with a Sharp LED tv (somewhat older) only having the max capabilities of 1080p I started experiencing the blackout issue everyone Has been describing. The premiere I’ve connected to an LG 4K tv in my bedroom and have not experienced any of the blackout issues. After many variations changing the Menu on the tv with the problem (Sharp) I’ve isolated it to the HDMI ports losing the video portion of the signal. I’m wondering if the chipset to the newest ROKU isn’t as compatible with lesser speeds i.e, 1080p. I have an older ROKU unit I’ve used on the same Sharp tv and have not experienced any of the blanking issue. It’s not a 4K capable unit. Your thoughts are appreciated.