Darkvader7
Reel Rookie

Using roku speakers abroad 250v

Jump to solution

I am moving from the USA to India and will like to take my Roku stream bar pro, rear speakers and subwoofer with me. The voltage in India is 250v. Will it work or do I need a step-up transformer. The specs state that the speaker and sub work 100 to 250v but I have been told otherwise.

Can someone please confirm?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Using roku speakers abroad 250v

Jump to solution

Go with the specs on the device, not what "someone" has told you. Most electronic devices today are good for 120-240v/50-60 Hz power. You will likely need an adapter for the plug, as the North American plug won't work on other countries. 

That said, be aware that there's a good chance that many of your channels won't work in a different country. In your case, India is not an officially supported country for Roku devices. Your Streambar will work, absolutely. But any channels you use that have geographical restrictions (and almost all the major ones do), they won't connect when you've set yourself up there. So don't be surprised if HBO Max, Disney+, Netflix, etc. won't work once you're there. To my knowledge, the only major provider that doesn't restrict by country is YouTube, but I could be wrong with that one as well.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

Darkvader7
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have the Sreambar speaker and sub and the label states that it supports 110 to 240v. I have connected them up to 240v Ac and it is working with no Ozone magic smoke.

Thanks again all for all your help.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Go with the specs on the device, not what "someone" has told you. Most electronic devices today are good for 120-240v/50-60 Hz power. You will likely need an adapter for the plug, as the North American plug won't work on other countries. 

That said, be aware that there's a good chance that many of your channels won't work in a different country. In your case, India is not an officially supported country for Roku devices. Your Streambar will work, absolutely. But any channels you use that have geographical restrictions (and almost all the major ones do), they won't connect when you've set yourself up there. So don't be surprised if HBO Max, Disney+, Netflix, etc. won't work once you're there. To my knowledge, the only major provider that doesn't restrict by country is YouTube, but I could be wrong with that one as well.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Darkvader7
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you, I am aware of the limitations with content, all I am worried about is the devices not being able to adjust to the higher voltage and blowing up and emitting magic ozone smoke.

We like the system especially the sound so content limitations we are not really bothered.

If all I need is the correct c7 lead then I am happy as step-down transformers are heavy and expensive.

We have the whole kit consisting of STREAMBAR PRO, REAR SPEAKERS AND THE SUBWOOFER.

Once again, many thanks for your expert help.

0 Kudos
MilesT
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Actually the specs on the speakers are 110v only (unusually in this day and age).

A step down transformer will be required.

Fortunately easily available in the UK (maybe Europe), it is common to use lower 110 voltage power tools on larger building sites for added safety.  Will be large, heavy, yellow, ugly.

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
Darkvader7
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have the Sreambar speaker and sub and the label states that it supports 110 to 240v. I have connected them up to 240v Ac and it is working with no Ozone magic smoke.

Thanks again all for all your help.

0 Kudos
MilesT
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Interesting. 

When I researched these online Amazon via link from Roku website) they didn't claim 240VAC support.

Not available in UK at all currently, and expensive to ship from US to UK.

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
Darkvader7
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes, have family in the States who helped me as they are moving to India to work for a few months. I just paid for shipping so all good.

0 Kudos