Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
m1onon

Use case- computer monitor with Roku soundbar?

Jump to solution

I find myself with 32-in UHD computer monitor that was recently replaced with something a bit better for spouses photo editing, and was wondering if it would replace the old 27 inch Samsung TV in the guest room. I'm pretty sure that the video would be fine, displaying the Roku home screen and whatever apps are there, but I'm not sure about audio? Connected via HDMI, would that still just be video only? Or could I watch and hear Netflix on this monitor using the stream bar. Not the Bluetooth one, the connected via HDMI one. Anyone done it, anyone have results of how it works? Or can state that it won't? Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Use case- computer monitor with Roku soundbar?

Jump to solution

Since the audio is always coming out of the Streambar, it should work.  It's getting audio out of the Streambar from a different source than itself that's the problem since it has to be connected to an ARC port or connected to an optical source for audio from anything other than a Roku app.  I don't have any monitors lying around with an HDMI input, but I tried an HDMI-to-DVI cable and it worked.  The startup animation was a mess, but once it got to the Home Screen it displayed in 720p which is as high as this old monitor supports (1680x1050 isn't quite 1080p).  The only issue you might have is HDCP (copy protection).  I was able to play a 4k video downscaled to 720p which I expected to throw up an HDCP error message since there's no way this monitor supports HDCP 2.2 (that was an issue in the past, but maybe Roku fixed it).

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Use case- computer monitor with Roku soundbar?

Jump to solution

Since the audio is always coming out of the Streambar, it should work.  It's getting audio out of the Streambar from a different source than itself that's the problem since it has to be connected to an ARC port or connected to an optical source for audio from anything other than a Roku app.  I don't have any monitors lying around with an HDMI input, but I tried an HDMI-to-DVI cable and it worked.  The startup animation was a mess, but once it got to the Home Screen it displayed in 720p which is as high as this old monitor supports (1680x1050 isn't quite 1080p).  The only issue you might have is HDCP (copy protection).  I was able to play a 4k video downscaled to 720p which I expected to throw up an HDCP error message since there's no way this monitor supports HDCP 2.2 (that was an issue in the past, but maybe Roku fixed it).

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos