Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tv won’t stay on crashes then brings me back to the powering on screen

I have a sharp/Roku tv that is now not working right everytime I turn it on it just stays on the powering on screen for 5 minutes blinks a black screen the does it again 

11 REPLIES 11
TMurray
Reel Rookie

Re: Tv won’t stay on crashes then brings me back to the powering on screen

The entire Roku network seems to have gone down around 7:45pm EST this evening. I had two old Rokus stop working completely. Their service seems to be back up now. 

0 Kudos
FOrr4
Reel Rookie

I have two Roku sticks that both started to fail at the exact same time tonight, within the last hour.  They are currently stuck in a rebooting loop and never quite make it to the home screen.

FOrr4
Reel Rookie

...and the literal second I hit post one of them finally loaded and seems to be working.

0 Kudos
jmbraben
Binge Watcher

My Hisense 55R6090 is doing same thing. It will boot if you kill the internet connection (pull cable if hardwired or factory reset if wireless)....but I'm guessing that will resolve this SNAFU quickly. FWIW my roku ultras seem to be working...hopefully this will trigger firmware update for other devices. You'd think someone from ROKU would get one here and post an update...currently I'm in support queue...42 still ahead of me, but started with 300 ahead...so moving quickly.

0 Kudos
TMurray
Reel Rookie

Over 5,500 people have reported issues with Roku on Downdetector in the last 75 minutes. 

0 Kudos
Giantmetalrabit
Channel Surfer

Roku is aware of the issue and working on it. There is an alert message on Roku site

0 Kudos
Brandinae

Same thing is happening to me! Apparently there's an outage. They're working on it... 

0 Kudos
jmbraben
Binge Watcher

Sure...but inexcusable that the products freak out on a down website or denial of service attack...there is reason it checks as often as it does and crashes if problem.

Apparently when the TV's are turned on, the "phone home" to roku servers...probably if i reboot my ultras, they'd be SOL.

0 Kudos
jmbraben
Binge Watcher

Roku TV in boot loop (apparently due to internet outage)

For everyone realizing that your product cannot boot unless "phones home" to roku servers...obviously bigger problem on Roku TVs. Anyhow, they are aware of current problem and hopefully will take some input to prevent future "outage avalanche"

Chat started on 20 Jan 2022, 01:26 AM (GMT+0)
(01:26:10)*** jmbraben joined the chat ***
(01:26:10)jmbraben: I've got a hisense 55r6090g...Hisense support said "talk to roku". The TV is stuck in boot loop. It will not boot unless I remove the ethernet connection...the moment I plug ethernet connection in after tv boots to menus, it locks up
(01:26:17)Roku Customer Service: An agent will be with you shortly, thanks for your patience. To avoid being disconnected, please do not minimize or close this window, and make sure your device has a strong network connection.
(01:28:04)jmbraben: i factory reset tv, went through recovery process...downloaded new firmware. But as soon as reboot after that, same problem
(01:31:41)jmbraben: Same problem with wired and wireless connection...locks up as soon as connection present
(01:39:31)jmbraben: yeh...looking at your community site...y'all got a problem all of a sudden
(01:45:26)jmbraben: I think y'all need to rethink the way these tvs behave...I've got 3x roku ultras...they all seem fine with the fact your server is offline
(01:47:48)jmbraben: although it looks like I factory reset my tv for no good reason...and am wasting a bunch of time waiting for y'all to tell me when/how you're going to resolve the problem
(01:49:04)jmbraben: maybe you should post on the community forum to let people know what is happening instead of onesy/twosy in zendesk
(02:04:39)jmbraben: BTW...I do this kind of stuff for a living (embedded Linux on products among other things)...you may want to have someone review the thread...obviously this should not happen.
(02:08:55)jmbraben: So...does it impact all products? Or some of the firmware not so stupid as to lock up without connection to your servers? My ultras seem to be ok...coincidence? When it ETA to resolve immediate problem? When to push firmware fix? I'll post to community if you provide information.
(02:12:44)*** xxxx joined the chat ***
(02:13:21)xxxx: Hi Jon!
(02:13:33)jmbraben: Hi xxxx...bad night?
(02:13:37)jmbraben: 🙂
(02:14:11)xxxx: I understand that you are unable to complete the activation of your Roku device and need assistance to fix it, am I correct?
(02:14:49)jmbraben: ummm...no...everything was fine until (apparently) your products freak out if they can't connect to roku servers
(02:15:19)jmbraben: As the 1000's of other people are reporting within the last hour
(02:15:31)xxxx: Yes, Jon.
(02:15:38)xxxx: We apologize for the inconvenience. We are aware of this issue. We are facing some outage issues with our system. Our engineering team is working on it to fix it at the earliest. So, I request you to wait for a couple of hours and try activating the TV after some time to fix this issue. Please refer to the support site to check for future updates https://support.roku.com/
(02:15:39)jmbraben: so...when will system be back up?
(02:16:23)jmbraben: And when will firmware update be available to make your system less susceptible to such an "outage"?
(02:17:40)xxxx: Once the outage gets fixed, the device will allow you to update the firmware/software and allow you to use the device.
(02:17:50)jmbraben: and I know you don't have an answer, but please forward this thread up the chain...there is no excuse for what is going on (that your system is vulnerable)
(02:18:00)jmbraben: to such an event
(02:18:49)jmbraben: are all devices at risk? My ultras seem ok...just coincident?
(02:18:49)xxxx: I understand your point, Jon. I'll forward your feedback to the development team to look into this for future updates.
(02:19:01)jmbraben: aight...hang in there ...
(02:19:18)xxxx: The streaming of channels won't have any issues at the moment, Jon.
(02:19:44)jmbraben: My TV was fine...until I turned it on tonight...this is not just "new devices"
(02:19:59)xxxx: The activation process, software update, and account login may have issues at the moment due to this server outage issue.
(02:20:54)jmbraben: so...again...need to rethink what happens on a reboot...which apparently the tvs do when turned on
(02:21:16)jmbraben: run with cached data for a time period if can't contact server, etc
(02:22:20)*** jmbraben left the chat ***

Tags (1)
0 Kudos