Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sw11
Reel Rookie

Tv brightness, settings, Roku tv

I watch Hulu live at night and want to adjust the brightness. I have a Roku tv but clicking the star doesn’t give me picture settings, just audio, captions, and accessibility.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Use the instructions below to change the TV brightness setting on your TV.
  1. Press Home on your TV remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select TV picture settings.
  4. Select TV brightness.
  5. Select Auto to enable ambient sensing (if your set has this option) or select a constant brightness level.
  6. Press OK on your remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Sw11
Reel Rookie

I appreciate you trying to help but I think there’s something wrong with my tv because I don’t have tv picture settings in my settings

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Sw11,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you letting us know about this issue when playing content on Hulu Live. We will work with you to know what went wrong so we can assist you further and fix the issue. 

For us to better understand the issue you are experiencing, can you please provide us with additional information:

• What Roku model device are you using?
  • Do you observe this behavior while using any other channel(s) on your device?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?
  • What are you seeing on screen? Can you provide a photo of the issue you are experiencing?

We look forward to hearing from you and looking closely into this issue. Thank you!

Thanks,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Sw11
Reel Rookie

I have the 50” onn. Roku TV - I observe this behavior across all streaming apps - so far I’ve only deleted and re downloaded apps, and checked for updates - in settings I don’t have brightness option, and when I press “*” when streaming it only brings up closed captions and accessibility - pictured are both settings options - anything helps thank you!

IMG_1074.jpeg

IMG_1075.jpeg

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@Sw11,

Thanks for keeping us posted about this. We'd like to take a closer look into this. 

Could you share with us the details below?

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • If possible could you share with us a link to a video on the issue you're seeing?

We'll be anticipating it.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DrAcula

I change the selection from "Brighter" to "Darker" and nothing happens... I work night shifts and the lighting is really low so a bright TV gives me headaches... Anything I can do to fix this without resetting the whole TV?

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @DrAcula,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We value your inquiry and interest in learning how to adjust the brightness level of your Roku device, and we will be glad to assist you in bringing you the information you need.

To change picture modes, start streaming a movie or TV show or switch to the Live TV, HDMI, or AV input where your other devices are connected. Follow the steps below to change picture modes:

1. Press * on your Roku remote to open the TV Settings menu.
  2. Select Picture Settings.
  3. Select Picture Mode.
  4. Change the picture mode using the left and right buttons on your remote.

For more details, please check out this support article on how to improve image quality using picture modes on your Roku TV system.

Let us know if it works, and we'll be glad to further assist you.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Bonberrow
Reel Rookie

Hi Roku,

I have the same issue and I see other threads asking the same question. Why does the Roku Streambar have auto brightness and no brightness settings?

Also I can't setup the Roku remote to turn the TV on and off.

I have upgraded my Roku system only to find the experience much worse. 

Thanks,

Ben

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Bonberrow,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We value your inquiry and interest in learning more about your Roku Streambar, and we will do what we can to bring you the information you need. Usually, the TV's brightness setting is what can improve your streaming experience. Since Roku Streambar does not have that feature, please use your TV's brightness settings to adjust it. Also, kindly check out this support article on why your Roku voice remote is not controlling the power button of your TV. Please follow the steps below to set up your remote:

1. Navigate to Settings.
  2. Select Remotes & Devices
  3. Select Remotes, followed by your remote.
  4. Select Set up a remote for TV control.

Please check out our FAQ. This provides additional information and complete steps on how to set up your voice remote to control your TV. Let us know if you have further queries, and we'll be glad to assist you.

Kind regards,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos