Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kjvii
Reel Rookie

TCL Roku TV not working after update from OS 8 to OS 11

Having been disconnected from wifi for a year plus, I decided it was time to update. After updating from OS 8 to 11, the TV would consistently reboot. No troubleshooting efforts proved to work. The issue remained and now upon powering the TV on, it requests an update from a USB connection. I tried this numerous times to no avail, it keeps requesting the update. I spoke to TCL support and they claim its because the system needs consecutive updates rather than skipping them like from 8 directly to 11. There is nothing that can be done at this point as I have no warranty on the TV. This is a fault with no fault of my own. Had I not updated, there would no issue. Roku please address this.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: TCL Roku TV not working after update from OS 8 to OS 11

@kjvii 

Thanks for the post.

Is there a reason why your Roku TV was not updating past OS 8? OS 8 is indeed a very old OS. What model Roku TV are you using and how old is the TV?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
kjvii
Reel Rookie

The TV was manufactured in 2019. It is a TCL Roku TV 43S423/C107X. It hadn't been updated because it wasn't connected to the internet. I had no need for the streaming services of the Roku OS so I had disabled the network connection until recently. I decided to update hoping there would be some new setting and optimization options.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@kjvii

Thanks for the follow up.

We would recommend continuing to try updating your Roku TV with a USB to see if you are able to update to the newest OS 11.0.

For more detailed information, visit our Support page here: Update your Roku TV with USB

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
kjvii
Reel Rookie

I tried that countless times. The system kept resetting and still requested the USB update. I had to go ahead and purchase a new mother board which I installed today. That seems to have solved the issue. I will definitely not be updating the software on this new board as that seems to have been the problem. If you can reach out to development at Roku and let them know this issue that'd be greatly appreciated, as there are others who are experiencing this issue.

0 Kudos