Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ikome

TCL Roku TV + Roku Streambar: Which Device Runs Roku OS?

I have a TCL Roku TV. Its' a few years old and the GUI is getting a bit laggy. To improve the sound and hopefully speed up the interface, I purchased a Roku Streambar. Through hooking up both HDMI and Optical, the two devices work together well and the sound comes out through the Streambar. But the interface still seems laggy. Is there any way to use the Streambar as the GUI instead of the Roku TV? And how do I know which device is running Roku OS?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: TCL Roku TV + Roku Streambar: Which Device Runs Roku OS?

It does get confusing.  One way to help is to set the wallpaper for the TV to be different from the wallpaper on the Streambar.  Is one of the HDMI inputs on the TV labeled "ARC"?  If so, that's where you should connect the Streambar and then you won't need the optical cable at all.  If not, then it's fine the way it is.

Assuming you do most of your viewing via Roku channels/apps, whichever HDMI input you have the Streambar connected to, set the TV to "Power on" to that input.  I believe the setting is located under Settings->System->Power.  Use the TV's remote to get there.  Once you have everything set up, you should be able to use the Streambar's remote for pretty much everything except changing the TV's input (to something like a cable box) or watching broadcast channels using an antenna (if you do that).

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.