Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Re: TCL Roku TV - Optical Audio Passthrough

@Goloaja wrote:

Woke up this morning and now the TV outputs DD/DTS just fine to the receiver. I can't tell whether it's the TV or the receiver at this point.

Go to home>settings>system>system update. That will tell you when your tv's software was last updated. Maybe you received an update recently(?).

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
ContentisKing
Channel Surfer

@Goloaja wrote:

I think the reason we are the only ones complaining is probably because there aren't many people with Sony receivers this old. I assume it works with newer receivers. 

Yeah, though I doubt it's a Sony issue specifically.  Probably the people who have older receivers without HDMI either don't care or don't notice that they're not getting full surround sound.  It isn't a big issue in the grand scheme of things.

I'm pretty much over it too, and wouldn't have cared much to begin with if the matter hadn't been misrepresented, sending me on a wild goose chase trying to troubleshoot.

I will say, though, that based on what I've read, there are plenty of people who report problems with ARC, too.

0 Kudos
Sneakypete
Reel Rookie

621E9B3D-858F-4C9F-A342-A92892444173.png

I also bought a new TCL 55R625 and I have an old 1994 Sony STR (no ARC or Optical). To make the two work together, I picked up a PROZOR analog to digital device. I use five speakers and it sounds real good. 
I also bought the new TCL soundbar ALTO 9+, thinking it would be more convenient to control (one remote) which it is. But, I’m struggling with the audio setting on the TV, such as Auto Detect, Passthrough, PCM. The sound is OK, but it’s lacking much depth.

johnfbraun

Just got a TCL 4-Series, and also ran into the audio pass-through issue with optical.  My older Sony receiver would state the audio was LPCM 48, which I think means it's basically stereo and not surround.  But then I stumbled across the setting which again shows the proper audio, usually Dolby Digital 3/2.1.

Settings > Audio Output > eARC (HDMI 4) enables proper audio passthrough, NOT Optical in the same menu.  And no I'm not using an eARC connection for audio.