Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TCL Roku TV Never Restarts After Software Update

I got a new TCL Roku 65R655 (J102X) and I plugged it in to use it in all its greatness.

It opened the initial setup screen , I went through it, and connected to my internet via ethernet. It automatically checked for updates and downloads it super fast. It displays a message saying it will automatically restart after installing the update. Here's where things go wrong. Once it downloads the update and restarts, the TV never turns back on again.

I disconnected the power after a while, waited 15 minutes and then plugged it back in. The TV turns on to the initial setup again. I go through it again. It turns off to restart again. It never turns back on. I have done this 6 times and it's always the same.

I have searched far and wide for fixes and tried the following:

• Disconnect power for a 24 hours and retry setup - no luck.
  • I skipped the internet connection setup, did a factory reset, and tried setup again - no luck.
  • I pressed the reset button behind the TV and tried setup again - no luck.
  • I downloaded the software update to a USB and went through all the steps on https://tvupdate.roku.com - no luck.
  • I reached out to TCL support and they said to enable Fast TV start, drain excess power, and try the setup again - no luck.

The TV restarts okay when I use the reset button, and when I do it manually through settings. This leads me to believe that this might be cause by the new software it installs but I may be wrong. In case this is helpful, the fresh-out-of-the-box software version is:

10.5.0 build 3168-DK

Right now I am using it as a "dumb" TV, and my worst-case workaround is to use a Chromestick for the smart features since the HDMI ports seem to work okay.

This is a new TV but more importantly, this is my first TV and I have been looking forward to it for a long time so any pointers, and suggestions to fix this will be great.

Thanks!

Labels (5)
0 Kudos