Discussions

Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Streambaruser
Channel Surfer

Streambar says it’s connected to Wi-Fi with strong signal but it won’t load.

We just got a new router and ever since, our streambar has barely worked, most nights it won’t work at all, even after several restarts of the modem, router, and roku, as well as doing full factory resets. At the same time, it says it is connected to Wi-Fi with an excellent signal strength. I read that some people are changing their 2.4 and 5 gHz settings to accommodate (to b/g/n), but our 2.4 is already set to that, and our 5 ghz setting does not have a b/g/n option (only n/c/ac). I don’t really know what any of this means, but I’d really like to understand how to fix it. TYIA!

#streambar #wifi #routersettings

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Streambar says it’s connected to Wi-Fi with strong signal but it won’t load.

@Streambaruser 

Define "won't work" and "won't work." Give examples of what you're attempting to do and the results you get, to include any error messages.

What you wrote could be taken to mean that apps won't launch, that they will launch but not play, that they crash on launch, that ... well, a bunch of stuff. Spell it out for us, as if we aren't there in the room and can't see what's happening.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Streambaruser
Channel Surfer

Re: Streambar says it’s connected to Wi-Fi with strong signal but it won’t load.

Apologies, I guess I was vague because literally all of the things you mention happen. Sometimes the apps won't load at all, sometimes they will load, but when we make a selection it gives us an error message (we have seen and googled several different error messages, I can't recall their numbers readily, but they vary). A few days ago we were able to get Netflix to work, and watched a part of one show but when we paused it, it timed out. We were unsuccessful in getting it to reload or any other apps to load. Yesterday we attempted to see if any updates were available and it timed out. A second factory reset sent us to the verification page, but when I verified via the email that was sent, nothing happened, the screen never reloaded. I tried again via the email link and I got a message on my phone that said simply "error". All the while the Roku tells us the internet connection is strong, it gives us green check marks for detection and connection, it knows the local time. We have tried bundling and unbundling our 5ghz wifi network with the 2.4ghz, but we get very unstable and unpredictable successes with both. We only have issues streaming on our Roku Streambar, we can stream on our computers and tablets in the same part of the house (which is very close to the router). We are at a loss of what to try next. I tried to set the wifi router to use g/b/n (not even really sure what that means) but it is already set to that. The 5g can't be set to that, the only options available are n/c/ac and combinations thereof. This all started when we got a new router, so I just don't know how to fix so that the router and the roku can work together. Any help or direction is very much appreciated!

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Streambaruser 

The different wireless modes/protocols mentioned (like b/g/n on 2.4ghz and N/ac/ax for 5ghz) are different speed modes for routers and their connected devices.  Not real important to understand them but they do have to be configured properly in order for the Roku device (and other wirelessly connected devices) to work properly.

If you can use an ethernet cable with your Streambar, that would probably take care of some of your wireless instability issues.

Otherwise, since you know how to check and make changes to your router, try the following settings and see if this improves your issues. (Many issues are caused by allowing the router to use "automatic/auto" settings which may not play nice with the Roku.)  These settings are usually all located in the same "wireless settings" that you found the mode b/g/n and N/ac/ax settings.

2.4 GHZ BAND

1. Radio is On/Enabled
2. SSID (network name) is On/Broadcasting
3. Network Mode/Protocol is set to b/g/n (Mixed Mode)
4. Bandwidth/Channel Width is set to 20mhz
5. Wireless Channel is set between 1 and 11 (preferably 1, 6 , or 11). Try changing and using different channels. Roku cannot see or use 12,13,14.

5.0 GHZ BAND

1. Radio is On/Enabled
2. SSID (network name) is On/Broadcasting
3. Network Mode/Protocol is set to N/AC
4. Bandwidth/Channel Width is set to 20mhz or 20/40 mhz
5. Wireless Channel is set between 36-48 (low frequency band) or 149-161 (high frequency band). Roku cannot see or use channels 52-140 (DFS Channels) which an Auto Setting may be choosing. If your router allows you to Disable DFS Channels, then an Auto Setting may be used after successful troubleshooting.

Restart both your Router and Roku devices(s) after making the above changes.

----

If still having issues, post back with your router model number and your ISP (internet service provider).  There may be other factors at play.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Streambaruser
Channel Surfer

@AvsGunnar 
Thank you so much for the help. We tried what you suggested and it worked at first, but I think it was because we reset the router. Then it goes back to its old ways after a show ends or we pause or something and we have to keep resetting the router repeatedly. Over the past few days we experimented with different channels, and changing the various settings one by one, and in combinations, but we just can’t seem to get smooth streaming. We even tried unbundling our 2.4ghz Wi-Fi from the other 2 5ghz ones and making the passwords different so the roku was only running on the 2.4. This didn’t work either.

Our router model is a tp link: Archer A20 and our ISP is Comcast xfinity. 

I really appreciate your help so so much, this is driving us bonkers.

0 Kudos