DosMinutos

Streambar Freezes & Crashes

This is the second streambar in less than a week with the same issue. This one is better as it has only frozen/crashes once in the last 36 hours but it is really annoying. I have been thru all the troubleshooting recommendations from your tech support on the first one and eventually replaced that unit and got a new one.

and yet this unit just did the streambar two-step: freeze then crash. no particular channel. i find that the unit is also slow to respond to the remote. 

i have tried hard resets & triple checked the cables - the hdmi & optical cable - and was confident until this last freeze/crash on the new unit.

from the forums i see that this problem has been an issue since the launch of the streambar— has anyone found a fix or do i have to return this and give up on roku altogether?

Labels (1)
13 REPLIES 13
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Streambar Freezes & Crashes

Hi @DosMinutos,

Thanks for making your first post here in the Roku Community!

We have flagged our team about this and reviewed your account. Our Support team has been taking care of this, and we would recommend to continue working with them.

Or get back here and let us know how things turn our, and we'll take it from there.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
skiramoenchen
Channel Surfer

Hello, I have the same issues.  Could I please get help too?  I am a big fan of Roku but the streambar is, sadly, not great...I bought it specifically to have a great surround sound. 

Thank you for your help!

RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @skiramoenchen,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community!

Could you provide us with more details about your concern? Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device? Are you receiving error messages or codes when accessing the channel? In addition, what troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
skiramoenchen
Channel Surfer

I actually reached out to Roku support and hard reset the streambar again.  Furthermore, I do now have a reference number shall these incidents continue. 

There is no specific channel as it happens intermittently on any of them. I did have an error occur twice that stated that my streambar was overheated which makes no sense since it is unobstructed placed in front of the TV. 

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @skiramoenchen,

Thank you for keeping us posted here in the Roku Community!
We will be more than happy to take a closer look into this issue that you're experiencing with the Roku streambar. Could you provide us with the serial number of your Roku streambar?

We'll wait for your response.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
skiramoenchen
Channel Surfer

Yes, the serial number is:  YL00A6521958

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @skiramoenchen,

We appreciate the information that you have provided to us!

For us to proceed with the appropriate action to resolve this, could you please send us a private message with your current shipping address and phone number?
To send a private message:

1. Sign in to the community.
  2. Click the message count or envelope icon to go to your Private Messages Inbox.
  3. Click Compose New Message.
  4. Enter the recipient's name in the Send to area.
  5. Note: Depending on your role in the community, you might be able to send a message to a group of users based on their role or rank in the community. If so, you can choose a role or a rank.
  6. Enter the subject for the message in the Message Subject area.
  7. Type the reply in the Message Body editor.
  8. Click Send Message.
  9. You can look for the messages you've sent in the Sent tab.

To learn more about how to send a private message, click this Community link: Help: Roku Community
We'll be anticipating it!

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jwersan
Reel Rookie

This happens to some extent on all the devices. It seems the "CPU" gets overloaded, the device hangs, then crashes and reboots.

It seems more prevalent with the Streambar though. Just last night it took a hard crash, and no attempts to get it to respond to the remote worked, with me having to unplug it to get it to respond.

It seems to happen a lot with YouTube, but it does happen with just about any streaming I do on the Streambar. The recent software update appears to have increased the crashing...

I suspect that it is overheating, thus the lockups and crashing. Maybe a heatsink, a larger heatsink modification or the addition of a cooling fan would decrease these issues.

lbhylton

I have the same issues and have tried all resets.  It pixillates and/or freezes.  It seems to be a problem common to streambars.  Overheating?  Memory errors?  Roku support seems stumped, as am I.