Discussions

Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
decyphersmc
Reel Rookie

Soundbar + 2 Wireless speakers but not getting 5.1 rear audio with Blu-ray player

Jump to solution

I have a TCL Roku TV, Roku soundbar and 2 wireless speakers set up as rear surround. I noticed when using my Blu-ray player (LG UBK80) that if I select the Atmos track surround works fine, but if I select a 5.1 track, the rear speakers don't seem to fire at all. 

I've tried setting the leveling mode to all the variations (off, night, leveling) but it doesn't seem to make a difference as I heard that can be a issue with converting audio to stereo. 

I could set the expanded stereo to Movies and TV, but that seems odd when I should be getting a 5.1 surround anyways without that.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
decyphersmc
Reel Rookie

Re: Soundbar + 2 Wireless speakers but not getting 5.1 rear audio with Blu-ray player

Jump to solution

Kind of answered my own question in the last reply. It's the lack of DTS audio support that is the issue here, nothing really technical. Since it's not supported, any DTS audio is changed to PCM 2.0. I have since replaced the soundbar and speakers with a different product, which is a bit of a shame as these speakers sounded great.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuAnjelie
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Soundbar + 2 Wireless speakers but not getting 5.1 rear audio with Blu-ray player

Jump to solution

Hi @decyphersmc,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

Please be aware that to set up a Roku Home setup of a 5.1 with two pairs of Roku Wireless Speakers. You must use a Roku Streambar/Soundbar as your center channel.

We recommend looking at our Support page: Optimal speaker placement, for more information about Roku...

If you have another inquiry in the future, please don't hesitate to post in the Roku Community again.

Thanks,

Anjelie

Anjelie A.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
decyphersmc
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi @RokuAnjelie  I have the speakers set up as shown in this picture minus the subwoofer

The soundbar is connected as eArc and the wireless speakers are set as the rear speakers. They're all Roku products which is why I posted here (should I be posting somewhere else?). I get Atmos tracks coming through these speakers but I don't get 5.1 tracks coming through the rear speakers as excepted. 

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @decyphersmc,

Thanks for the prompt response!

We have forwarded this case and the information to our support team so they can provide additional assistance.

They will be contacting you through email, so please keep an eye on it.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
decyphersmc
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Just following up on this. I noticed recently that I had a bluray that would have surround audio in the disc menu screen, and checking on the TV would say it was receiving Dolby Audio. I would then play the movie itself and the audio would just go to PCM and appear to be stereo (when the audio track says it should be DTS 5.1). 

Other threads suggest turning of volume leveling or dialogue enhancement, but I'm getting surround on the disc menu, on discs that have atmos, on old DVDs(!), on streaming apps with leveling and dialogue enhancement turned on, but not on blurays or 4K discs that have 5.1 DTS. 

0 Kudos
decyphersmc
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Kind of answered my own question in the last reply. It's the lack of DTS audio support that is the issue here, nothing really technical. Since it's not supported, any DTS audio is changed to PCM 2.0. I have since replaced the soundbar and speakers with a different product, which is a bit of a shame as these speakers sounded great.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.