ajcacio
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku wireless subwoofer popping noise

I can replicate this speaker and sub popping issue on multiple devices. TCL R635 with original Roku streambar as well as 2 original Roku speakers and wireless subwoofer. This started about three-ish weeks ago. My upstairs setup - TCL R655 with Roku StreamBar Pro, 4 Roku Speakers and Subwoofer was not exhibiting this issue for a few days after it started. 

In the course of my troubleshooting I power cycled (by unplugging) all devices, factory reset, and re-plugged HDMI cables in. I’ve also restarted my WiFi network. All to no avail.

Notes: through my troubleshooting I noticed that the downstairs setup had been updated to OS 12.5 recently. My upstairs setup that didn’t have the issue at the time was still on 12.0. However, about 10 days ago, my R655 updated to OS 12.5 and the popping issue began just like downstairs. I am unable to determine whether the OS update for the soundbar or the TV introduced the issue but when both devices are both at 12.5, the issue exists  

TV - 12.5.0.4176-DK

Streambar Pro - 12.5.0.4178

-Subwoofer/satellite popping occurs intermittently with no consistent interval. Around 20 pops in a 2 hour movie.

-Pops occur identically both from apps on Roku TV (not streambar) and HDMI devices

-Pops only occur when 5.1 content is playing. They do not occur when only available output is stereo.

11/12/23: I’m not sure my theory is entirely right. Downstairs setup (R635, OG streambar, OG speakers) subwoofer popped with expanded stereo (Peacock) (Standard mode, leveling, Low voice clarity, Movies and TV). Only popped a few times in a couple hours but clearly a pop like is frequent with surround sound.

Dfresh567
Roku Guru

@RokuERey 

thanks so much for helping with this. Should I message I privately. I have the information you wanted and I understand the instructions.

0 Kudos
Leakfreak

I noticed the same while watching a movie on Peacock yesterday.  Never heard it pop randomly like this in the past.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Leakfreak,

Thanks for joining us here and for letting us know that you also experience this behavior.

We also wanted to know if this issue occurs every time you stream content. Does this happen across all the channels on the platform or only an isolated case to a specific one?

Tell us more about this.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Dfresh567
Roku Guru

@RokuERey    Great question. It’s happening on multiple streaming channels m. I’m gonna keep track but def Amazon and Apple TV. Also it seems to be getting worse cause last week it was my back two Roku speakers and now it’s the sub too and seems to be happening more frequently

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for the update, @Dfresh567!

If you experience this issue again, send us a video clip on this issue so that we can take a closer look at it.

You can link us via PM.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Dfresh567
Roku Guru

@RokuERey 

I’ll send you a PM with the sound when it occurs. I’ll try to get as good of a video of the popping sound as possible from the speakers and Sub. I won’t be home till tonight so that’s when I’ll be able to send it.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@Dfresh567,

We'll be looking forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
ejordan525
Channel Surfer

I am having this problem as well with my subwoofer and rear surrounds. I’ve factory reset the subwoofer and speakers, tried moving the subwoofer closer to the Roku TV & streambar pro. I’ve also changed the WiFi connection to 2.4 instead of 5.0 and manually assigned the network channel to 11 as this was recommended on a Sonos support channel for popping noises. All of these troubleshooting techniques have not solved the popping issue. Was on a chat with multiple Roku agents who only had me unplug the TV and plug it in a minute later. Didn’t help. 

Based on what I’m seeing here it seems to be an issue with the current software loaded into the devices. Both my TV and streambar pro are using this software 12.5 this issue started about 1 month ago. Before that these worked great. All devices are only 2 years old.

RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @ejordan525,

Thank you for letting us know.

To better look into this issue, would you mind sending us a video clip when the issue occurs? Also, may we know if the popping noise occurs when streaming a particular channel? You can reach us via PM here at the Roku Community to have a proper investigation.

We'll appreciate your response.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos