Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bigjersey16
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku wireless subwoofer popping noise

My subwoofer pro just started noticeably popping 2 days ago. My entire system is less than a year old, (streambar pro, 2 surround speakers for front and the Subwoofer Bass Pro). I've noticed the popping happens at random times during what should be a bass event while streaming. It will pop just prior to sounding the bass. I've experienced it while streaming Netflix, Hulu and Max at random. Very hard to get on video as there is no rhyme or reason as to when it will happen. 

RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Bigjersey16,

Thanks for joining us here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate your report regarding this audio issue. Did you receive any updates that might be related to this case? Does repairing it help, or does it come back even after that?

We'd like to learn more information about this so that we can sum it up.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Bigjersey16
Reel Rookie

@RokuERey I havent received any update regarding this. I noticed the Roku software was updated on 11/01/23, I checked for a software update and the system is up to date. I've tried doing a power cycle, and a forced restart through the Roku streambar with no success at resolving the issue. It is still randomly popping while streaming

RobertMW
Binge Watcher

Roku:
Although I asked you not to run me in more circles, I had intended to comply with your instructions to play more coloring books and patty-cake (again, against my better judgment), I am unable to. I have a severe vision impairment. I set the Roku screen reader at a very slow rate, but I am not able to legibly write down the IDs you requested.
However, my tech support ticket is #8569063. During the MANY phone conversations I have already endured with Roku, one of the support ladies listened to the screen reader and noted all these numbers, so your computer already has this info. (Right?)

At this point, I must make the following observations:
• I have endured these lovely popping noises for 22 days.
• I am certain that both I and all others in this thread have satisfactorily compensated Roku for the item(s) now defective with the legal tender of their jurisdictions, without bouncing checks, counterfeit currency or stolen credit cards.
• I have spent a great deal of time troubleshooting, phone calling, chatting; everything short of inviting you folks over for dinner.
• My intuition tells me your techs knew about this issue fairly soon after Oct 31 and they likely knew the cause quickly after that. I’m not sure why tech companies (not just you, but also Microsoft, Apple, and Amazon) get their jollies by making customers provide this info, when they already know what the problem is; they just don’t want to admit it publicly.
• I wonder: if all of us on this thread were to note the wonderful popping noises on amazon.com (where I bought the Streambar) and roku.com (right before Black Friday), would that compel a miraculous discovery and resolution of the problem?

And at no charge for consulting, I am going to provide the short-term workaround, so that we can all get back to enjoying our movies and music as we did prior to Oct 31:
• Since it is painfully obvious that this issue was caused by OS 12.5 :
• Open your Versioning / Update Channel Management Sofware.
• Make a copy of OS 12.0
• Rename that copy OS 12.6
• Strap a parachute under its tiny little armpits.
• Gently push it out the door onto the update channel for Streambars.
• FOR CRYIN’ OUT LOUD.

ajcacio
Reel Rookie

FWIW, I solved my issue by replacing my setup with the Polk Magnifi AX SR2 setup. Absolutely zero popping noise over same gamut of tests. The issue is obviously OS 12.5 on the soundbar.

RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @RobertMW,

We hear you and we're sorry for the inconvenience about this. We have communicated this case to the appropriate Roku team already and they are currently looking into this.

We're hoping that they get the kinks out soon.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @ajcacio,

Thanks for sharing your workaround for this. We'll make sure to take note of this.

Thanks,

Rey 

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Dpelfrey

Having the same issue with my subwoofer making a random popping noise. This is the 2nd Roku subwoofer that has done this. Starting to get expensive. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

0 Kudos
RobertMW
Binge Watcher

Day 29 of the Roku Streambar Popping Noise Hostage Crisis.

Apparently the once universally-cherished ability to be embarrassed has passed away at Roku.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@RobertMW,

We're sorry for the inconvenience and for the delay in our solutions to this.

I sent you a PM for further information regarding this issue.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos