Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andyross
Roku Guru

Roku may add pause ads to ALL inputs!

Roku has filed a patent to show ads on top of any HDMI input that it detects has paused. So far, the patent has not been finalized and granted. It is also unknown if it can be done through software update, or would need need new hardware.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/04/hdmi-customized-ad-insertion-patent-would-show-rokus-ads-ato... 

Labels (1)
9 REPLIES 9
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku may add pause ads to ALL inputs!

And users wonder why all these little devices have no on/off button.

The only way to have any real control or security is to disconnect any internet-connected device from having internet access when not in use.

I will continue to use non-smart TVs for as long as they make them or I can find parts to repair/refurbish ones I have or want.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Dear Roku,

If this is implemented, I am canceling my subscription and removing all Roku devices from my home.  Your interface and customer experience is great so far.  Don't mess it up.

andyross
Roku Guru

There is no subscription to.use a Roku.

0 Kudos

Upgrade a subscription

And you logged onto this forum to post, so.....

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

And again, there is NO subscription required to use a Roku. There are many free services and apps. Any money you pay Roku for subscriptions goes to the services, although Roku takes a cut, just like Apple and Google. You can always sign up with services directly (STRONGLY RECOMMENDED), and cut Roku out completely.

0 Kudos

That's not my argument.  You are sharing login and usage info with Roku so yes, you are subscribed to Roku.

if they do that ill be making a video were i light up this TV WITH A GUN 

ROkooFlix
Streaming Star

If Roku follows through and implements "pause ads on ALL inputs" there will be a disturbance in the force.  Certain to upset existing users/customer base triggering an exodus.  Potential customers are not likely to consider making a Roku purchase if they are aware of this.

While it may look like a creative bonus revenue stream to Roku stock holders and analysts, ultimately it'll have a negative impact on an already hurting stock value.

Roku would be wise to secure their patents on this without deployment and block other service providers from attempting the same path.

Member Since ‎07-09-2008
Harvini
Roku Guru

Upon calm and careful consideration, I have determined the following:

The very FIRST TIME that any HDMI stream receives an advertisement from ROKU,  that will be the very LAST TIME that ROKU has access to, receives data from or interacts with my TV set in any way.  Period.  End of discussion.  No further commentary need be made, nor apply.