Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mxavier124
Streaming Star

Roku constantly turns off my TCL television.

Jump to solution

Purchased (June, 2023) a smart TCL Roku ready television.  I didn't use your software in the beginning but used this set as a plain television.  Decided later to and completed set up of Roku on tv and it immediately began, and constantly, turning off this television set. I've read fixes on your site, on Youtube and regular internet searches and discovered no fixes work.  Do I need to purchase the Roku plug in and start over with it???  Shouldn't have to...

Three time I've returned TCL Roku ready television set to its beginning and over and over tried all fixes including updating TCL tv and Roku.

Why don't you simply update Roku (please) so this does not happen... it is annoying.  I'm extremely disappointed with your product.  😞

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuElmer-H
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku constantly turns off my TCL television.

Jump to solution

Hi, @Noku2022!

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that you're having the same issue with your TCL Roku TV turning off randomly. Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.  

Here are a few things to take note and you can try if you haven't tried any troubleshooting yet. 

• One reason why your TCL Roku TV might be rebooting by itself is due to the insufficient power supply. Please check the power adapter and power outlet to ensure everything is properly connected to the back of the TV. 
  • You can also try using another network, such as Mobile Hotspot, when streaming and see if that makes a difference.
  • You can perform a system reboot, by navigating to Settings>>System>>Power (if available)>>System restart.

If the issue persists after trying these steps, we may need help from the TV manufacturer team as this may be related to a hardware problem. Please contact your TV manufacturer directly to report this issue and request additional support. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS. 

You can contact them here: TCL Support or at 1-877-300-8837.

Best regards,
Elmer

Elmer H.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Mxavier124,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We appreciate you for reaching us here, and we're sorry for the inconvenience. We'd like to better understand the issue you're running into. When you say "turn-off", is it a playback issue when accessing a certain channel or totally shut your TV off upon navigating it.

With more information , we'll be able to assist you.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
Mxavier124
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Any Roku channel a "totally shut your TV off" as if I pressed the off button.  It began turning itself off every 2 minutes as if I set the timer to turn off every 2 minutes; I accessed this timer in settings and set it to turn off within 4 hours.  Four hours is the longest time I can keep it on without Roku automatically turning my tv set off.  Must say there are no automatic shut off issues when I'm watching local channels with my antenna.

I've watched Youtube channels, internet searched, chat rooms following all instructions but to no avail.

Please help!!  🙂

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Mxavier124,

Thank you for keeping us posted!
Have you tried contacting your TV manufacturer? If not, please contact your TV manufacturer directly to report this issue and request additional support. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS.

For a list of Roku TV manufacturers' contact information, visit our community post here: Contacting Support for Your Roku TV

If there's anything else that we can do to assist you, please let us know.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
Mxavier124
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

John, thanks a million for your immediate replies.  I did as you suggested and accomplished the following:

Contacted TCL who assisted in restoring my Roku ready tv to its original manufacturer setting; completed all "set ups".  Once that was accomplished my tv set no longer turns off every 2 to 5 minutes so far for two days now.  It turns off when I want it off. 🙂 

Prior to returning to original manufacturing setting my Roku channels began not showing up but locals remained.  I thought I had manipulated something in the settings creating this problem so I didn't mention to you in the beginning.

After getting everything re-installed the channels returned; however, they all of a sudden were gone again.  Is there an update available that will solve this nuisance?  I need to know which channels I'm on and have the ability to locate these channels.  Please correct.

Thanks again for your patience, diligence and willingness to help.  🙂

RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for getting back to us, @Mxavier124!

Try performing a system restart by navigating to Settings>>System>>Power>>Restart. Then let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
Mxavier124
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Unfortunately that did not work. 

TCL "folks" assisted me, when you suggested I contact them, with a factory reset which corrected all my issues for a day.  The next day Roku returned to turning tv off every 3-5-10 minutes and channels left. 

This is really frustrating.

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Mxavier124,

Thank you for the reply.

We appreciate the effort that you've made in troubleshooting the issue on Roku TV. No worries! We will be more than happy to assist you further. Please follow the steps below:

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select System.
  4. Select Power.
  5. Select auto-power savings.
  6. Uncheck the box next to After 20 minutes of no interaction.

After you disable auto power savings, your Roku TV will remain "awake" and ready to be used any time your TV is powered on.

If the problem still persists, please keep us posted.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
Mxavier124
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I have two boxes that don't mention "after 20 minutes of no interaction" but do have the following:

1. Reduce power after 15 minutes

2. Turn off after 4 hours

Both boxes were unchecked earlier but problem persists; and still no numbers for channels.  I have the utmost confidence you will be able to correct these issues.

Thank you!  🙂

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Mxavier124,

Thank you for keeping us updated here in the Roku Community!

Please be advised that one factor as to why your TCL Roku TV keeps rebooting by itself is if there's an issue with the power adapter, cord, or even power outlet. Kindly make sure everything is intact at the back of the TV.

If the problem still continues, please keep us posted.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator