Discussions

Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zamphex
Channel Surfer

Roku Ultra - Volume glitch after some time - Volume glitched high or low and distorted

On my Roku ultra, after streaming content for some amount of time, the volume glitches and the level is either really high or really low. Restarting the stream (by pressing back and then streaming again) always fixes the issue.

It is a software issue. It never used to happen until a certain software update. The volume on the TV is not changing. The actual volume level of the stream is glitched and is either super high or super low and distorted. It happens after streaming content for some amount of time. Sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes an hour.

Changing HDMI cords didn't work. Power cycling didn't work. Changing HDMI audio setting (PCM vs Dolby) didn't work. Factory resetting my Roku ultra didn't work (it auto updates to the latest software after resetting).

PLEASE give "Kudos" to this post, it's the only way it'll get the eyes of Roku's audio software engineers to revert whatever awful software change they made a couple of months ago. It happens to me with Hulu and Xfinity Stream. Doesn't happen with YouTube or Plex. So my guess is it has something to do with audio when "streaming" something as opposed to direct play. One more thing to note is that the same audio level glitch happens when streaming the audio through the Roku app to headphones using iOS. So it has nothing to do with my TV / HDMI cord / other. The audio being glitched when playing through headphones on iOS Roku app (plus the fact it started happening after an update) tells me this is ONLY a software issue introduced by an update.

Information:

Model: 4670RW - Roku Ultra

Software Version: 11.5.0 build 4312-46

3 REPLIES 3
Sharperhou
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Ultra - Volume glitch after some time - Volume glitched high or low and distorted

I also have this issue with the roku ultra.   Will be listening along and suddenly everything goes center channel only.

RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Ultra - Volume glitch after some time - Volume glitched high or low and distorted

Hi @Sharperhou

Thank you for the post!

If you're experiencing volume glitches and distortion on your Roku Ultra, there are a few troubleshooting steps you can try:

• Check your audio settings: Make sure that your Roku Ultra is configured for the correct audio output format. Go to Settings > Audio > Audio mode and select "Auto" or the appropriate format for your setup (e.g. HDMI, PCM, etc.).
  • Check your cables: Ensure that your cables are properly connected and not damaged. Try swapping out the HDMI or other cables and see if that resolves the issue.
  • Restart your Roku Ultra: Sometimes simply restarting the device can help resolve issues like this. Go to Settings > System > System restart and select "Restart".
  • Reset your Roku Ultra: If the issue persists, you can try resetting your Roku Ultra to its factory settings. This will erase all of your settings and data, so make sure to back up any important information first. To reset your Roku Ultra, go to Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Factory reset.

We hope it helps!

Warm regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
Zamphex
Channel Surfer

@RokuLianna I addressed every one of the individual solutions you recommended in my original post and bolded them.

1. Check your audio settings. I posted "Changing HDMI audio setting (PCM vs Dolby) didn't work".

2. Check your cables. I posted "Changing HDMI cords didn't work".

3. Restart your Roku Ultra. I posted "Power cycling didn't work".

4. Reset your Roku Ultra. I posted "Factory resetting my Roku ultra didn't work".

Your message didn't help address the solution. It just told me you didn't take the time to read my original post.