Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
k1eddy

Roku TV vs Roku + Non-Roku TV

My parents' TV is getting old and I was thinking about getting them a new one as a gift. They are Roku users and I was wondering what the advantages and disadvantages of getting a Roku TV vs just continuing with the current set up are. Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku TV vs Roku + Non-Roku TV

@k1eddy 

My personal preference is a non-Roku TV with an HDMI connected Roku streaming device. (the setup your parents have).

I have an Insignia RokuTV as well and not only is mine sluggish, but just about Roku OS update breaks or introduces a bug into the antenna/OTA viewing experience. They usually get fixed eventually, but it is irritating. 

With a non-RokuTV, you can avoid the above.  Also, if you get another smart TV, you have an alternative streaming source/platform should you have an issue with a Roku channel/app.  Also, much easier to upgrade or replace a seperate Roku device should the need arise, then to have to replace an entire RokuTV.

I have TVs in my house from 2007 (non-smart TVs) that work just fine with the Roku devices and I like keeping the antenna/OTA function seperate from the Roku Smart TV streaming experience. (of course, I need to keep two remotes around and some consider that a "con").

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
John32068
Reel Rookie

I Have a new Roku TV TCL  And I Hate It because I have an outside TV antenna  for all local TV stations

and I have to way to manage the live station a Different brand EX RCA where one can use a  input button the remote control to switch to Antenna  On a resent update on Roku I lost all NBC and ABC programing as it no longer listed in My TV Guide  and been unable to get them back  it  only list CBS and FOX but i  can watch and pickup  the missing roku live tv channels on my RCA TV in the bed room

I thinking of buying a Samsung TV with the input buttons

when Roku updates  they tend to break something and Fire TV is worse

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

If possible, my next TV won't be a smart TV, so I'd vote for a non-Roku TV and a separate Roku device, but it seems almost impossible to get anything other than a "smart" 🙄 TV.

@John32068, be careful with that Samsung purchase unless you're looking at non-smart Samsungs.  I won a Samsung "smart" TV last year and it's probably not possible to be more disappointed in a free TV.  Its remote is worse than Roku's - no input buttons, number buttons, or much in the way of any buttons.  The only good thing about the remote is that it's rechargeable via solar.  It has numerous other problems, so it will be the last Samsung "smart" TV I ever own and is probably going into storage to be replaced by my old cheap, dumb TV.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
John32068
Reel Rookie

My channels over the air  the  Guide goes from digital 4.1 to 4.3 (which is CW Networks) to 17.1 Skipping all ABC networks 12.1 to 12.80  Then after the 17's skipps over( all 25.1  which is NBC )

I Do not like that stupid TV guide  that Roku Put out 3 to 5 hundred channels It picks up off every streaming live TV app Examples fusbo, hulu youtube etc. I don't need to subscribe  to everybody and their brother streaming service. MY Local channels are Local because they are Local to my area

If roku wants to do something to make Roku better  Put a setting in an update to  turn off UPDATES because they BREAK THINGS with their updates

0 Kudos