Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Roku TV the screen will suddenly go black when streaming multiple channels

For the past couple weeks or so, watching the Roku channel, and maybe Netflix, Prime, and OTA, as well, the screen will suddenly go black, or shift to another channel, etc. eventually going back to normal, usually within a minute. 

Also, when I first go to the homepage, sometimes there'll be just empty squares, or sometimes I click on one, like Roku Channel, it will go to it, but then instantly jump back to the homescreen, etc.  Just a lot of glitchy things going on, just recently...

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku TV the screen will suddenly go black when streaming multiple channels

Hi @StevenCee,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We will be more than happy to assist you further with this issue that you are having with the Roku TV. Please try to restart your modem and router. After restarting your wireless network connection, you may need to restart your Roku TV by going to settings, system, power, and system restart.

Let us know how it works.

All the best,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Re: Roku TV the screen will suddenly go black when streaming multiple channels

@RokuJohnB  Yes, I did all those things, and eventually it began working ok again. However, there are still glitches like this happening, from time to time, including tonight. The channel guide said "No Information" on every channel, and wouldn't go higher than just the OTA stations. So I did a system restart, and it once again was working OK, although it took a few minutes to get the correct time...

The glitches that are constant, are mainly when I'm streaming on my computer. The picture is too dark, even when I turn the computer's brightness up. Also, the captioning is on, even when it's not selected. When I change it to setting it on, then off, it will turn off, but than a few minutes later, the captioning comes on again, really weird.

On my Roku TV, my main complaint is that movies on demand, that say in the Guide, "click * to start from the beginning", will start from the beginning anyway, even though I don't click the asterisk!  When that happens, it also cancels out the back feature, so I can't go right back to the channel I was watching, as I may have just wanted to see what else is on, during a commercial. Why do they go back to the beginning, even though I didn't click the asterisk key? Why can't this just work right?

Oh, and it seems every few days, when I am on the Roku channel, if I click on one of the movies' trailers, I'll just get the spinning circles, and it'll say either 0%, 69%, or 99%, and then nothing else. If I try to play any of the movies, same thing happens! And sometimes if I go to Netflix, the same thing will happen, usually when I've had this issue with the Roku streams. The only way to fix it, is to do a system restart... It seems like it could be a matter of a build-up of cache, is there some way we can just clear the cache, instead of having to restart my Roku TV?

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.