cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JockFlyHi
Channel Surfer

Roku Streambar not recognizing HDMI arc on Samsung Un55f8000

Jump to solution

Hi guys, having difficulty getting my new Roku streambar  to talk to my tv. I use arc with all my setups and yet, I have never been as frustrated as I am now. I simply cannot get ARC to work (why roku feels the need to have some kind of automated pass/fail on set up I have no idea-just let me configure manually!)

Anyway, TV settings: anynet+(HDMI-CEC) is set to “on”; sound output set to “receiver”; HDMI (I’ve tried a number of different cables) connected to ARC HDMI on TV. I’ve tried outputting in PCM, DD, 2.1.

Streambar refuses to see tv, keeps saying “something went wrong....” this tv spoke with my pioneer receiver for years with the same settings.

Incidently, the tv anynet+ Setting can see the roku soundbar and the roku remote will power on/off the tv and yet...no ARC.

anyone got any ideas? Cheers.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Streambar not recognizing HDMI arc on Samsung Un55f8000

Jump to solution

1) You didnt mention your Streambar firmware version:  Settings/System/About

2) Check for updates:  Settings/System/System update/Check now

3) Make sure you have the latest TV firmware (ver 1218.0/May 29 2020)

3) Unplug everything (Roku, TV, etc) from power completely  for 5-10 minutes - Power the Streambar (give it a few minutes), then Power the TV fully on, then try the Streambar ARC setup.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

1) You didnt mention your Streambar firmware version:  Settings/System/About

2) Check for updates:  Settings/System/System update/Check now

3) Make sure you have the latest TV firmware (ver 1218.0/May 29 2020)

3) Unplug everything (Roku, TV, etc) from power completely  for 5-10 minutes - Power the Streambar (give it a few minutes), then Power the TV fully on, then try the Streambar ARC setup.

JockFlyHi
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Streameruser-thanks for the response.

1&2. Streambar firmware 10.0.0 Build 4209 up to date.

3. Tv firmware is 1218

4. Streambar-I presume the only way to re-access ARC setup is via factory reset? I can only find display settings in the advanced system settings.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Not having a Streambar I'm not sure of all the UI menu options.

There may be an option to re-run/re-setup the ARC without doing a Factory Reset - you might need to go through the entire UI, but I would look under Settings/Display type, Settings/Audio and Settings/System/Control other devices first.

If you skipped the ARC detection/setup initially and chose Optical that may be why ARC isnt working later (it probably has to have a successful detection/setup in order to be enabled).

Since the ARC detection/setup happens with/immediately after the Display setup, it may be possible to trigger the ARC detection routine by re-detecting the display under Settings/Display type/Auto-select (just select it even if its on it).

Otherwise, you can try the factory reset, but you also might contact support first:

chat or email:  https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options   (choose setup/streambar/other/need more help?)

0 Kudos
JockFlyHi
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

So I tried @StreamerUser's suggestion: unplugged literally every cable from both TV and Roku. Powered up the Roku, connected Roku to HDMI arc (all other hdmi's disconnected). Powered up TV. ARC and HDMI-CEC now work....classic! Didn't have to re-do the setup, just worked. Hopefully it doesn't fail when I reconnect my other sources!

🙏 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Glad you followed the specific sequence and got it resolved - with HDMI handshaking/EDID/CEC/ARC issues, its best to power everything off for a few minutes then power them on in the following order:

1) AVR/Soundbar

2) TV

3) Everything else connected to the AVR/TV

If you ever run into it again, just follow that order and it works 99% of the time to resolve whatever odd issue was happening.

0 Kudos
JockFlyHi
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Update:

the fix was only temporary, it seams if you use AirPlay the TV and streamer don't HDMI handshake properly again. The TV sees the roku and the remotes work as per HDMI-CEC but the ARC audio doesn't play.

Either the streamer doesn't switch its inputs or the TV gets confused.

Each time I have to turn both units off, disconnect the other hdmi inputs. Switch back on. Reconnect other HDMI inputs. *sigh*

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Its still the same fix, its just you are going to have to do it a bit more often than you'd otherwise like/want/should/would.

I highly recommend informing both Roku and Apple about the issue:

Roku CS chat/email/phone:   https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options

Apple:  https://support.apple.com/contact

0 Kudos
ml8585
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Or get a Sony tv. Sony seems to have a better implementation of HDMI CEC and ARC. 

0 Kudos
xelaju
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Just go buy a new $1000 TV because Roku isn't able to make their stuff work with Samsung? It's not like Samsung isn't a dominate brand. This is a failure of Roku testing and quality control. They need to own it.