Discussions

Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Suitmonster
Binge Watcher

Roku Streambar Error: This USB device requires more power. Use power adapter if available.

Hi Roku folks,

I had a Streambar that was recently replaced by Roku (audio/bass distortion and crackling problem.)  I got the new one they sent me about a week ago, and it worked fine until tonight when it began to display an error saying "This USB device requires more power. Use power adapter if available.  For more help, visit go.Roku.com/USB" 

The message appears/disappears at random intervals, taking up about 1/5th of the bottom of my screen.  The Streambar I own uses its own proprietary power adapter and port, not USB for power.  I don't have anything plugged into the USB port on my Streambar.  Before tonight, I had never even tried the USB port.  I plugged in a blank flash drive to the USB port on the Streambar, just to see if that would stop the error message, but it persisted.  I power cycled the Streambar to no effect.  All night so far it has repeatedly displayed that error for anywhere from 1 to 20 seconds or so before removing it and then eventually displaying it again.  It does it while streaming content, it does it while browsing the menus, and it does it while idle on the home screen as I type this.

Please advise.  Really frustrated by this, as this is the 2nd one of these Streambars that has given me issues, with this one just over a week out of the box!

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Streambar Error: This USB device requires more power. Use power adapter if available.

Hi @Suitmonster

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Please reply here with the serial number of your Roku Streambar. It can be found in Settings > System > About. Once we have the information needed, we'll be able to forward it to our team who can assist you further.

We look forward to your response.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
Suitmonster
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Streambar Error: This USB device requires more power. Use power adapter if available.

Very annoying to navigate anywhere right now, because the low-power error keeps popping up, and wants me to click "close" before I can do anything else.

The SN is YL007K977313

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@Suitmonster

Thanks for the reply.

I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. I'd recommend keeping an eye on your email since they'll be reaching out to you from there.

Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Suitmonster
Binge Watcher

@RokuKariza-D 

So far, no one has reached out to me via email.  Last time I had an issue, I reported it here and got an email with instructions in less than 1 day.  Have I been overlooked?

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@Suitmonster

Appreciate the update.

I've followed up on your concern to our Support team. You can expect an email from them within the day. 

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this issue has caused you.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Amandastv

My tv screen keeps popping up saying this usb device requires more power but I don’t have a usb plugged in. How do I fix this issue ! ?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Amandastv

Thanks for the post.

It's possible that you may have a defective USB port on your TV. Is your TV a Roku TV or another brand TV?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Suitmonster
Binge Watcher

STILL getting the intermittent message "this USB device requires more power."

Message STILL appears & disappears regardless of if I click the "ok" on the message or if I even have anything plugged in to the USB port on the back of my Streambar.

This streambar is a replacement provided by Roku under warranty for a DIFFERENT issue - it is about 4 months old and has been doing this for 3 months.

@RokuKariza-D - I am very tired of this.  I asked for help months ago, I was called by a woman named Shakira who asked me to use the non-ARC HDMI port and see if that helped.  It did not help.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Suitmonster

Thanks for the post. I'm sorry to hear about the experience—that's not what we aim for.

Can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos