Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kesper

Roku Alexa Skill not finding TV, not allowing login

We recently bought a new Roku TV after having one for several years prior that suddenly stopped working. We had the old TV hooked up to our Alexa via the Roku skill, but when I attempted to add the new TV to the skill, it could not find the TV. One suggestion was to reinstall the skill, I removed it from the Alexa app and attempted to reinstall it, however I am now stuck in a loop where I receive an email to verify my account, click through that email, and once I get the button to return to the app I receive a circle that just keeps clocking. I found a similar problem back in 2021 here that several people were experiencing, and they apparently found a solution for it on Roku’s side and a post on Reddit from three days ago from another person experiencing the same issue.

Labels (1)
3 REPLIES 3
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Alexa Skill not finding TV, not allowing login

Hi, @Kesper

Greetings, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We understand that you've encountered an issue with linking your Roku TV an Alexa, and we're willing to assist in resolving the issue at hand. For this matter, you will need the following to utilize Alexa with your Roku TV. 

• A free Roku account
  • An Alexa-enabled device such as an Amazon Echo, Echo Show, Echo Dot, Echo Spot, Echo Plus, or third-party device with Amazon Alexa
  • Alexa mobile app downloaded to your iOS® or Android device

To use the Roku skill for Alexa, you need to link your Roku account to your Amazon account using the following steps:

1. Open the Alexa mobile app
  2. Tap or select the Menu icon in the corner
  3. Tap Settings
  4. Scroll to TV & Video and select Roku from the list
  5. Tap the Enable button
  6. A prompt is opened in a browser, sign in to your Roku account. Learn what to do if you forgot your email address or password.
  7. Select Accept and Continue, and follow the prompts to return to the Alexa app
  8. Choose the Alexa devices you wish to use with your Roku devices
  9. Select LINK DEVICES

For more information, you can visit the official support article on How to use Amazon Alexa to control your Roku streaming device

Hoping this information helps.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Having same problem. Get to step 7 in your list and browser does not return to Alexa app. Get never-ending revolving circle. Here are relevant facts: iPhone running iOS 17.4.1, Safari browser, Alexa version 2.2.597862. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

northforkjeff

0 Kudos
JackAward
Channel Surfer

If you're experiencing issues with the Roku Alexa Skill not finding your TV or not allowing login, here are some troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. **Ensure TV and Alexa Device are on the Same Network**: Make sure both your Roku TV and Alexa device are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. They need to be on the same network to communicate with each other.

2. **Check Roku TV Settings**: On your Roku TV, navigate to Settings > System > Control other devices (CEC) > HDMI and ensure that "Control TVs and Receivers" is enabled. This allows your Roku TV to be discovered by Alexa.

3. **Enable Roku Skill in Alexa**: Open the Alexa app on your smartphone or computer, go to Skills & Games, and search for the Roku skill. Enable the skill and follow the prompts to link your Roku account.

4. **Discover Devices**: In the Alexa app, go to Devices > "+" > Add Device > TV. Alexa will search for compatible devices on your network. If your Roku TV is discovered, select it to add it to your Alexa devices.

5. **Manually Add Roku TV**: If Alexa doesn't automatically discover your Roku TV, you can try manually adding it. In the Alexa app, go to Devices > "+" > Add Device > Other > Discover Devices. Follow the prompts to manually add your Roku TV by entering its IP address.

6. **Restart Devices**: Try restarting both your Roku TV and Alexa device. Sometimes, a simple reboot can resolve connectivity issues.

7. **Update Software**: Make sure both your Roku TV and Alexa device have the latest software updates installed. Outdated software can sometimes cause compatibility issues.

8. **Check Roku Account**: Ensure that your Roku account is active and properly set up. Log in to your Roku account on a computer or mobile device to verify.

If you've tried these steps and are still experiencing issues, you may want to reach out to Roku support or Amazon Alexa support for further assistance. They may be able to provide additional troubleshooting steps or help resolve any account-related issues.