Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anode505
Streaming Star

Re: SOLVED: ROKU TV Suddenly won't connect to Internet - no problem before now

Jump to solution

I've had internet connection issues with *wired* also (Roku XS). Rebooting the router works for me.

Now, when it has issues, it IS connected to the network, just can't get passed the gateway.

If you guys have a Mac or linux (raspberry pi?) on your LAN try this in a terminal inserting the IP of the roku and without the brackets:

curl -d '' http://<ROKUIP>:8060/keypress/home

followed by a

curl -d '' http://<ROKUIP>:8060/keypress/right

See if the Roku responds.  If so, it is connected to the LAN, just not getting out of The LAN. The Roku is DoS'ing itself.  (some magic packet.)

Also try manual IP settings: static IP, subnet mask, gateway IP, and DNS servers.

(I have yet to try this, but do assign DHCP reservations for all devices on my LAN. It is almost the same, but not really.)

Does Roku have a bug bounty?  Might be worth investigating this a bit more deeply.

0 Kudos
Myguitarme29
Channel Surfer

Re: ROKU TV Suddenly won't connect to Internet - no problem before now

Jump to solution

How the heck did you do this, I got into the gateway screen and every password and username it won't take at all???

0 Kudos
NateTruth
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@atc98092 

Thank you for the response. First, my main Roku device is the TCL Roku 43'Tv. Model EC9029k build dtd 2019. This is the problem child (I also have a Roku Ultra and a Roku express, both were purchased this year and are still working). I purchased it in July 2020. So yes, it is and was using wireless 5ghz radio wifi. The error code I'm getting is .00018 "speed too slow'. But again, no other device is registering such a problem.

I had made most of those changes 2 days ago and did the reset (of the router and the Tv) and it didn't work. 

Today I made the change from channel 166 to channel 44. Again restarted both devices and again nothing.

So after reading other threads here I decided to try the linked router option. I set the spectrum router to bridge mode. Setup my new router, and it too failed to connect to the Tv and the express... So that was interesting.

So that's where I stand so far

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Well, that's a bummer. I would have expected one of those to take care of it. However, there's one additional thing with TCL TVs that I've heard about in the past, and that was a poor solder joint on the WiFi antenna connection on the motherboard. That would explain both WiFi bands having an issue. If you're handy with a soldering iron, they say it's pretty simple to fix the connection.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
mikexray

Jump to solution

Factory reset has always fixed my connectivity issues. Firmware must get corrupt. No big deal to set it up again. All my applications come back like they were. 

0 Kudos
NateTruth
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Well I wouldn't say I'm handy at soldering... But I've done it before. Plus I have a couple welder friends.i definitely will give this a try. Is there a YouTube  video I can watch? I don't want to pick the wrong joint. Or maybe I can request a schematic diagram from TCL.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I believe it's pretty obvious where it is when the back is removed from the TV. But I've never owned a TCL TV, so only going on second hand info. I've handled a soldering iron for a long, long time. Remember Heathkit? But from what others have said, it's a ground connection to the shield around the WiFi module, and pretty clear where to re-solder. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
NateTruth
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Heathkit!!..wow you took me back to hanging with my Dad in the shed.

I figured it was easy to identify. probably only 1 transmitter on the Mobo. And wifi usually near the opposite end of the receiver at and edge. Just gotten spoiled by this technical age. Either way I'm desperate so I'm definitely going to try.

Thanks, I will let you know if it works

0 Kudos
Tottie1987
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have tried factory reset and updated and restarted the wifi router I have two Roku express and they are both affected everything else connects to the 2g and 5g no problem any suggestions thanks

0 Kudos
TYSON

Jump to solution

followed directions   did not work   it has been off for two days this time   does it in the middle of the night and takes days to redo.     does not recognize my wireless account that i have had since i got the roku   all of a sudden it will not connect and gives a msg number of 014.30     very frustrating    on with xfinity   all from their end is fine   signal   passcode etc.   not happy

0 Kudos