Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grege131

Prime video crashing after one or two minutes

Prime video keeps crashing after about 1 or 2 minutes on my TCL Roku Tv. I deleted the app and reinstalled and it fixed it for one show. Then I started watching another show and it started doing it again. Tried multiple show with same result. 

4 REPLIES 4
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Prime video crashing after one or two minutes

Hi @Grege131,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that you're having a problem with your apps or channels on Roku since it will crash. Help is here. Please follow the steps:

• Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press Star to open the Options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
  • Restart your Roku device: Press home on your Roku remote, select settings, select system, and system restart.
  • Re-install the channel: Scroll down to search, put the name of the channel or app, highlight the channel, and select add channel.

You can also look at this link: How to resolve a channel playback issue.

If the problem still persists, please keep us posted.

Best regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
TripodBob38
Binge Watcher

@RokuJohnB  I am having a very similar problem with Prime Video.  

I have followed the steps you outlined for @Grege131 which did nothing.

I have factory reset the ROKU device, no change.

The problem:  Over the last 2+ weeks every time the THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL ad appears Prime Video App crashes.

The ad starts then a few seconds later the 'SKIP' button is suppose to appear in the bottom left corner of the screen.  However, as soon as the button starts to appear the app crashes.  This does not occur on any other Prime Video ad, only the Thursday Night Football on Prime promo ad.

You say contact Amazon using the amazon.com/videohelp link?  Well it seems SalesForce the administrator of AmazonForum.com has shut off all access to the help forum.  I get a "License Limit Exceeded" error. I have been receiving this error over at Amazon for a week.  I have not received any response from Amazon on any other media channels.

Anyone else here experiencing the same issue?

Roku Premiere+ (4630 series)  Version 12.5.0 Build 4178-29
PrimeVideo App version 14.1 build 2023092022

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @TripodBob38,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We appreciate you letting us know about your problem with the Prime Video app. Since the issue persists on one channel after attempting the troubleshooting steps and videos from other channels play fine, we highly suggest that you contact the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help. The channel developers themselves maintain channels on Roku. In this case, an issue within that specific channel might need to be addressed with an update from them. Kindly try to reach them with this Prime Video website and see if this works.
Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help you.
All the best,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
TripodBob38
Binge Watcher

After several hours of capturing network traffic to/from the Roku Premiere+ (4630 series)   and a new Roku Ultra (4800 series) I discovered that the Thrusday Night Football promo was compromised.  I found the same issue in the web browser version, android, and iOS apps.  After three weeks of no response from Amazon on any channel or medium I forwarded my findings to a couple cyber security outlets for further follow up.

What prompted me track the crashes was my DNS filtering service was stopping traffic destined for BOT command and control servers.  Then after further traffic monitoring I found the requests were coming from the ROKU.  So I started keeping a log of every time the football promo crashed the Prime App and those times matched the requests to the command & control servers.  When a malicious request is sent and does not receive the correct response the app crashes.  Again this only happens when the Thursday Night Football on Prime promo plays between episodes or starting a new title.  If that promo does not appear the app does not crash.

No I was not able to capture the malicious payload.  That is why I reported the issue to other outlets to let them access the severity of the threat.

My guess is this will be a continuing problem until football season is over.  Until then I have quarantined both ROKU's onto separate isolated subnets.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.