Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Setablaze777
Reel Rookie

Prime and Netflix crashing on Roku TV

Jump to solution

This week, I've encountered strange behavior on two different Roku TVs in two different states. In both cases, while watching a show the app would suddenly stop and go back to the home screen. When resuming the show, it often would start playing a minute or two earlier in the episode than where it stopped. Also, the issue happens repeatedly, even after restarting the device. I've tested it on different internet sources, and that didn't make a difference. 

Before I go the route of reinstalling apps or factory resetting, is anyone else experiencing something similar? This started about a week ago. It seems unlikely reseting will fix this gs as this is happening on more than one device in different locations. 

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Setablaze777
Reel Rookie

Re: Prime and Netflix crashing

Jump to solution

What ended up fixing it for me was clearing the Roku cache. I used the method described below but I imagine doing it the way that @RokuLianna shared would work too. Hope this helps someone. 

• Go to the home screen. Make sure you're on the home menu item. 
  • Press the home button 5 times
  • Press up once
  • Press rewind twice
  • Press fast forward twice
  • The screen will freeze for up to 30 seconds, then the device will reboot. 

CC @Scarlettotara 

View solution in original post

139 REPLIES 139

Jump to solution

I'm having the exact same issue but only on 1, my newest TV, a Roku TCL, 58 inch. Starts the episode on Netflix and with no warning stops and goes to the home page. i've tried everything from uninstalling to reinstalling the apps. Annoying to say the least.

RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Setablaze777

There are a few possible reasons why your Prime and Netflix apps are crashing on your Roku TVs. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try before resorting to reinstalling apps or factory resetting:

• Check for software updates: Make sure that your Roku TV is running on the latest software update. You can check for updates by going to Settings > System > System update > Check now. If there are updates available, follow the instructions to install them.
  • Check your internet connection: Make sure that your Roku TV is connected to a stable and strong internet connection. You can check your internet connection speed by going to Settings > Network > Check connection. If your connection is weak or unstable, try resetting your router or contacting your internet service provider.
  • Clear app cache: Go to Settings > System > Advanced system settings > App > Netflix/Prime Video > Clear cache. This will clear any temporary files and data stored by the app, which may help resolve the issue.
  • Uninstall and reinstall the app: If clearing the cache doesn't work, try uninstalling and reinstalling the Netflix/Prime Video app. To do this, go to Settings > System > Advanced system settings > App > Netflix/Prime Video > Remove channel. Then, go to the Roku Channel Store and search for the app to reinstall it.

If none of these steps work, then a factory reset or contacting Roku support may be the next best option.

We hope it helps!

Warm regards,
Lianna

Setablaze777
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

What ended up fixing it for me was clearing the Roku cache. I used the method described below but I imagine doing it the way that @RokuLianna shared would work too. Hope this helps someone. 

• Go to the home screen. Make sure you're on the home menu item. 
  • Press the home button 5 times
  • Press up once
  • Press rewind twice
  • Press fast forward twice
  • The screen will freeze for up to 30 seconds, then the device will reboot. 

CC @Scarlettotara 

MCZ1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution
  • Clear app cache: Go to Settings > System > Advanced system settings > App > Netflix/Prime Video > Clear cache. This will clear any temporary files and data stored by the app, which may help resolve the issue.
  • But I don't have > App in my advanced system settings
Mclark2602

Re: Prime and Netflix crashing on Roku TV

Jump to solution

Try updating the channel. Go to channel hit the * and select update

0 Kudos
IPFighter

Jump to solution

Help, this problem just started for me in the last 24 hours on every TCL Roku Series 4, 5, 6 I own. Only Netflix and Prime crash, all other apps are fine. Tried restart, reinstall, no luck.  Cannot figure out how to clear app cash, none of the TVs have Settings > System > Advanced system settings > App > Netflix/Prime Video > Clear cash option. Thanks. 

RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @IPFighter

Thanks for reaching out here in Roku Community.

Did you restart your Roku device before re-installing the channel? That step is crucial when performing the troubleshooting. If you haven't tried the suggested order (remove > restart > re-install), we would recommend giving it a shot once again. We also suggest doing the restart from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart. 
For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?"

Regards,
Karla

Jump to solution

I have had this issue for years and nothing fixes it. My next smart tv will not be Roku one that’s for sure. All 3 of mine and Netflix doesn’t work 

RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Roguexbears85

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community. 

Does the issue occur on the Netflix channel only or all channels on your Roku devices? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?

Keep us posted.

Regards, 
Nimfa