Poor streaming quality on NFL+ app

This is the third season I have watched NFL+ on Roku.  From the first time I watched it the streaming quality has been awful.  The resolution is not great, but as long as nothing's moving quickly it's ok.  Unfortunately, football is all about things moving quickly.  The problem is what appears to low frame rate or judder.  As the ball travels through the air it seems to disappear and reappear.  The experience is poor on my basic 42" HD TV from 2013, but it's simply unwatchable on my 65" 4k TV from 2019.  I don't consider myself a particularly sensitive viewer.  I find the quality of broadcast games to be quite good. 

I had decided that NFL+ was simply streaming at very low quality to save bandwidth, but I recently read that they stream at up to 1080p/60 fps depending on connection quality. 

https://support.nfl.com/hc/en-us/articles/5405696538268-What-is-the-highest-quality-stream-available...

I am using Roku 4k streaming sticks on both TV's.  My 42" TV is next to my router where I can get 300 mbps.  My 65" 4k TV is in the next room where I can get 200 mbps.  The NFL+ site says only 5 mbps is required to stream the highest quality.  The content I am getting is not consistent with 1080p/60fps or even 720p/30fps for that matter 😞

Is anyone else suffering from poor streaming quality for NFL+ on Roku?  Have you fixed it?  

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Poor streaming quality on NFL+ app

Hi @PeddlerDavid,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Could you tell us more about the issue you are running into? How far is your device from your router? Also, please elaborate on the troubleshooting steps you have taken to reproduce the problem.

In addition, have you tried to connect your device to an alternative network connection, like a mobile hotspot, to see if the issue persists?

We will be better equipped to provide further assistance by providing additional details.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Re: Poor streaming quality on NFL+ app

Just signed up for a Roku free trial to watch an NFL game today and the picture quality has been terrible.  I am using a high end gaming PC with 2K monitors and am connected to 2GB fiber internet.  I would say the quality at best will hit 720, but is frequently in the 240s.  The stream also stutters frequently.  This is awful!   Are all Roku services this terrible?   A streaming service should be able to consistently stream at least at 1080.  Safe to say I will be canceling and will not pay for this service. 

0 Kudos