Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
agottschling
Channel Surfer

Philips RokuTV won't install 12.5 update

Jump to solution

Hey all, Having an issue with my Philips 65PUL7973/F7 RokuTV. It won't install the 12.5 update and doesn't throw an error. It instead either says everything's up to date, or says that it needs to install the same version that's currently installed (12.0.2 build 4071-F6). Any ideas on how to fix this? I really don't like the idea of the security updates not being installed on my TV

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
agottschling
Channel Surfer

Re: Philips RokuTV won't install 12.5 update

Jump to solution

Update: I jumped into Recovery mode and used the same file and flash drive I was attempting to use and 12.5.0 installed successfully.

EDIT: Interesting observation. After upgrading to 12.5 successfully via recovery mode, I stumbled on a website describing a secret screen that you get to by hitting home 5 times, fast forward three times, and rewind twice. There's an update software button there, and selecting it seems to cause the TV to want to downgrade to 12.0.2 again. Maybe something's wrong on Roku's side for this model of TV?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I don't know why you're not being offered 12.5, but you can try installing it from a USB flash drive by downloading it:

Roku | TV USB Updater

When it asks for a model number it wants the Roku model number (not the TV model number) as displayed under Settings->System->About.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
agottschling
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hey, thanks for that link, but I can't get past the step where the TV is supposed to show a code. I plug in the USB drive and nothing happens for a moment, then it asks me to launch Roku Media Player. I found some other instructions that say there should be an option to update the software and select I Can't Connect, but that doesn't appear for me either. Am I missing something?

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

Try leaving the USB drive plugged in and then perform a "System restart" from Settings->System->Power (or pull the power plug out for a few seconds).  If it still doesn't recognize the USB drive and you're sure that it was prepared properly, the next thing might be a factory reset and/or "Recovery mode", but those are a last resort.  It's after one of those that you get the "Can't connect to Internet" option.  Some people have had success with the regular network update after a factory reset where it didn't work before.

For information about Factory Reset:

How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device? | Official Roku Support

For information about Recovery Mode:

How to use Recovery Mode on your Roku TV™ | Official Roku Support

0 Kudos
agottschling
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I took another look at the instructions here (https://support.roku.com/article/212361468) on how to update using a USB drive, and unless I'm missing something or there's a secret button combo to enable the usb update, It appears that there's no way to do a USB update once you've set up the TV and connected it to the internet. I'll have to try recovery mode to see if that works.

0 Kudos
agottschling
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Update: I jumped into Recovery mode and used the same file and flash drive I was attempting to use and 12.5.0 installed successfully.

EDIT: Interesting observation. After upgrading to 12.5 successfully via recovery mode, I stumbled on a website describing a secret screen that you get to by hitting home 5 times, fast forward three times, and rewind twice. There's an update software button there, and selecting it seems to cause the TV to want to downgrade to 12.0.2 again. Maybe something's wrong on Roku's side for this model of TV?

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

Sometimes that Secret Screen offers a way to downgrade immediately after upgrading, but never when you really need it.  🙂  Did you ever have an issue after an update and got Roku to rollback your TV?

0 Kudos
agottschling
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Honestly, I haven't tried it since upgrading. And I left the Tv on 12.5 for now. I might poke at it a little later today and see if it still wants to downgrade or not

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

I don't think it will downgrade on its own.  I'm just concerned that the next time an update comes out you'll have to go through this all over again.  That's why I asked if you ever got Roku to rollback an update because of some issue.  They rarely do it, but it seems to put devices on a "don't update" list.

0 Kudos
agottschling
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Gotcha. Any way to get Roku's attention to check?

0 Kudos