Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Onn TV making high pitch sound while on. Can hear it through my show. Please help

Hi @Cryptobae,

Welcome here to the Roku Community!

We sincerely understand the issue you've experienced, and we're sorry to hear about this. This issue might be better addressed by the TV manufacturer directly, and they provide direct support with their TV models. Kindly refer to Onn's support contact information at @RokuAnjelie's comment above this thread.

We hope for the best for you.

Regards,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Cryptobae
Reel Rookie

Re: Onn TV making high pitch sound while on. Can hear it through my show. Please help

Issue has gotten worse in a matter of weeks.  My TV just made 3 years literally days ago, but is still in the plastic along the edges and of course still “new”. The sound is a high pitched, loud and piercing sound. Almost like a theft alarm. My TV audio and picture quality are fine. It’s just the noise over powers the audio. I’ve tried every troubleshooting measure you can think of. Customer service will only walk you pointless troubleshooting before telling you to find your own tech and pay out of pocket. By the way, if they refer you to “ubreakibreak” because they are said to be authorized ONN TV “Technicians”, know that they only fix ONN TVs that are still under warranty only. I’ve banged on the back of my TV which has either stopped the sound temporarily or made the sound less pie wing. Eventually it will go back to the high pitched sound after a few minutes. I also noticed that if you unplug for a few days then replug, you can get at lest a day or two with NO piercing sound. Just normal as it was prior to the issue. But again, that’s short lived.
I’ve never had a TV go out, let alone in 3 years. I have Five Below electronics that have lasted longer. I will never own this brand again, even if it was free for life. You most certainly get [BELOW] what you pay for. The price should be $250 for 75”. That’s it’s true worth  

If you’re thinking about buying this brand, DON’T! Run past it, don’t walk! 

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Cryptobae,

Greetings and welcome to the Roku Community!

We're sorry to hear about this behavior you've encountered with your Roku TV, and we truly understand how frustrating it is to stream with an audio issue. Would you mind us asking if this pitched noise occurs on a specific channel while streaming or happens throughout the Roku platform? In addition, when this pitched audio occurs, is your Roku TV overheating? 

Please keep us posted.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Cryptobae
Reel Rookie

It doesn’t matter the channel. It occurs the moment you power it on until you power it off. The noise occurs if I’m watching YouTube, any streaming app, if it’s on the home screen stagnant, if I’m using the TV audio or if I’m using my sound bar surround sound as the audio…. It still exists!!!! Testing audio / video settings, unplugging, pressing the tiny button by the HDMI input, etc…. None of that solves the problem. 

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for keeping us posted, @Cryptobae

This seems like a hardware issue. Have you tried contacting Onn directly and inquiring further about this? TV manufacturers provide direct support with their TV models.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
Cryptobae
Reel Rookie

As my lengthy post mentions , I’ve contacted ONN TV several times. They do not give you any useful assistance if you are outside of their warranty. They will try to troubleshoot on pointless areas that has nothing to do with the issue as to say “they tried,” then they will advise you to find your own technician to fix it out of pocket. You won’t even get a recommendation in your area or what company is best at repairing their specific brand of TVs. I was told, “just look on Google.” SMH

Moat
Streaming Star

Just MHO, but for people posting about this issue, it indeed sounds like it's a hardware issue - not a Roku issue. Most likely it is "coil whine" - from a ¢50 component called an inductor. These are small ferrous stubs or rings with a coil of fine copper wire wound around them. If the coil of wire wasn't wound quite tight enough, the coil can vibrate (often at very high frequencies) and cause the noise people are describing. 

If it were mine, I'd remove the back of the TV and (carefully!) poke around with a wooden chopstick or similar - applying a bit of pressure on the various inductors & capacitors to see if the sound changes/disappears. A drop of low-viscosity super glue on any offending inductor's exposed windings could possibly fix it. Maybe... 🤔 Might be worth a shot, anywho.

0 Kudos
nowakeh

did you ever find a solution? same exact problem with mine, 2 years old and they basically said screw you lol. The noise is literally driving me CRAZY

L0rdS1rius
Reel Rookie

YES, THERE IS A SIMPLE RESOLUTION TO THIS ONE - DO NOT BUY THEIR BRAND OF TVS AGAIN! 

No lie, after two years of their ignorance and negligence in handling my escalations, I said to **bleep** with it and tore the TV down as I couldnt stand the brain and ear hits anymore from the high pitched squealing emitting from the unit I had.. I had to basically threaten them with small claims before they'd even work with me on my warranty repair/replacement.. Then they refunded me partial amounts instead.. I was happy to get anything back from them at that point..

You will need to pursue a warranty or a different brand of electronics mate.. The defects are on their boards.. 

The issues have been discovered to be due and caused by faulty power boards/modules & loose capacitors. It seems that a few users have had success after changing out the power boards.. 

I used a heat tolerable rubber based adhesive, a chop-stick (as some lovely person highlighted prior) and I fused it around the capicator that was loose on my unit. However, the boards are still faulty and will need replacing - otherwise, they'll eventually give out and it wont power on at all.. 

You can tell if its a capacitor vs. power mod by changing your TVs picture settings.. If you notice the pitch changes while you're going through normal/vivid/etc., its the power board, if it does not change in pitch, its most likely a capacitor.. 

I cant wait for a class action to be filed and accepted on those fools.. While I wouldnt normally care over a dollar, I'm making it a point to signing up and sending in the forms to collect my $1.16 check.. They'll be $1.16 closer to bankruptcy in my view!

Im shocked that Roku is still permitting their (OnnTvs) junk to host their apps and be branded alongside them.. Its a shame & it lost both companies a high spending customer... my refund and what funds I got off the other 4 Onn-Roku units that I sold before they croaked went dime-for-dime on a new Anti-Onn-Roku unit and on firestick & android tv additions..   They'll Get me Nevaaaaaaaaaaa' Againnnnnnn .... 

Anyway, Hope the board info helps you mate!

0 Kudos
L0rdS1rius
Reel Rookie

-_- We've all tried to contact OnnTVs Shoddy Support and most of us have been directed right back to Roku Support... 

Roku has been made aware of these issues for quite some time now - closing entries out and removing forum posts isnt cutting it.. 

Ijs - This Needs To Be Escalated to Rokus Internal PR Teams, as its losing you the dedicated customers your company has worked hard for! 👍

0 Kudos