Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_gN16-cw
Channel Surfer

[OS 12.0] seems to have broken eARC soundbar setup

I have a TCL Roku TV (Model 65R655) set up with a VIZIO M512a-H6 via HDMI-eARC. Great setup, has been working without any issues for months. Last week the soundbar suddenly stopped playing sound without (I thought) any change to the setup. It still appears in the Audio devices, and I can control the volume and mute settings via eARC no problem, just doesn't play any sound (I have verified that the soundbar does play sound from a computer via HDMI in or via bluetooth). If I choose the TV speakers, I do have sound. 

I dug around a bit and saw that this was right around the time that the first build of the 12.0.0 software version of the TV was installed. Coincidence? Maybe, but I highly doubt it. I since then upgraded to the new build (still 12.0.0), but the issue remains. 

I've tried a number of debugging steps, incl. factory resetting, disconnecting and reconnecting the sound bar, but to no avail so far. 

Is anyone else having a similar issue? 

My TV details:

Model: 65R655
HW ID: J102X
Software version: 12.0.0 build 4176-DK

My soundbar details:

Model: VIZIO VIZIO M512a-H6
Firmware version: 2.1.0.4

50 REPLIES 50
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: [OS 12.0] seems to have broken eARC soundbar setup

Hi @_gN16-cw,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for letting us know about the behavior you're seeing with your Roku TV and all of the troubleshooting you've done. We would like to know what went wrong so we can assist you further and fix the issue but we need more details.

In addition to the details, you've provided. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

We look forward to hearing from you and looking closely into this issue. Thank you!

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
_gN16-cw
Channel Surfer

Sure 

> Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version

• TCL model: 65R655
  • Serial number: X02100M0J8UN
  • Device ID: S0GV5270J8UN
  • Software version: 12.0.0 build 4176-DK

Does this issue occur on a specific channel?

No, it occurs even in just the main TV menu (does not output menu sounds)

> tracker ID

UN-155-401

> steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

None, really - turn on the TV, observe that the soundbar is connected and can be controlled by the TV remote via eARC, but that it doesn't output sound. As stated above this started happening suddenly, without making any changes to the setup - though suspiciously close to the time of a recent software update to OS 12. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi @_gN16-cw 

Thanks for the follow up regarding the issue you are experiencing.

Can you please provide us with a photo of the Audio output format screen in your Roku TV? You can access this screen by navigating to Settings > Audio > Digital output format.

In addition, if your settings are set to Custom, can you please provide us with a photo when you navigate to Custom.

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
_gN16-cw
Channel Surfer

Sure, here it is. Note that changing it to "Passthrough" or "Stereo" does not make a difference, still no sound.

IMG_5922.jpg

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hello @_gN16-cw

Thanks for that information.

I have passed along the information to the appropriate Roku team for consideration.

In the meantime, we would recommend the following steps:

1. unplug your soundbar
  2. factory reset audio/picture settings through Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Factory reset > Reset TV audio/picture settings > press play/pause 3 times
  3. plug your soundbar back into your TV

Once this is complete, we would recommend trying to see if you are still seeing the issue occur. Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
_gN16-cw
Channel Surfer

Unfortunately, this did not resolve the issue (I even did a full factory reset of the TV not just the audio/picture settings). Same behavior as before; soundbar is recognized and I can control its volume with the TV remote but not sound. 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi @_gN16-cw 

Thanks for the follow up regarding checking what we requested.

I have passed along the information that you have provided to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Once more information is available, I'll be sure to post an update in this Community thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
digitalant
Binge Watcher

I’ve experienced this glitch as well tied specifically to the update, 12.0.

Setup:
TV: TCL Roku 65R635 
software: 12.0.0 build 4176-88
Serial: X00300TJK3SR
Receiver: Onkyo Tx-NR3008

What’s happening is the Earc HDMI initially send a digital audio signal to the playback device (in our case a receiver) and then seems to switch/stepdown to analog which effectively stops audio functioning.  i’ve been able to confirm this via video display on my receiver switching from shown signal initially upon startup as HDMI digital to analog after approximately 5 to 10 seconds.

i’ve been able to get it to come back to digital/hdmi earc audio by switching the audio source to TV speakers (in audio , and then back to Earc, but that only lasts until the TV powers on and off again.

It doesn’t seem like changing any of the audio settings has cured this including audio output and digital output format.

It does not seem to be an issue on secondary devices being connected to the TV through the receiver and same HDMI via Earc (a Nintendo Switch), but rather only the two way audio transmission from the TV to the sound device remains hobbled. 

Here’s what it looks like upon initial startup: note the display of HDMI which is the audio input. 

A36E1E47-F3FD-4204-8B2F-48907106007B.jpeg

Then after 5-10 seconds it will step down to analog and audio function through Earc will terminate. 

C4B932F9-FEAC-4737-8C27-C935D021939D.jpeg

I hope Roku is able to push an update that fixes this as it has completely broken our setup. @RokuDanny-R @RokuMary-F Any help from you guys much appreciated.

TCL Roku TV 65R635
Onkyo TX-NR3008
_gN16-cw
Channel Surfer

I'd be curious whether down-dating your OS to 11.5 resolves the issue for you (it unfortunately did not for me).

0 Kudos