Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
njrichie
Reel Rookie

[OS 11.5] Roku TV TCL Black Screen on display

"We have received reports that some customers with the above TV models are unable to see any display on their units following a software update.

We are currently investigating and working diligently with Roku to address this issue. There is no need to contact us. Updates will be posted on this page.

We apologize for the inconvenience."

Its TRUE right after the update my Roku 43S431 TV went dark. Spent the whole day trying to restore with no success. This is what happens when there is a BUG in the update software.  My other Roku TV model was not affected after the same update. Hopefully they come up with a fix. Its update 11.5.0 Build 4235

https://support.tcl.com/notice

372 REPLIES 372
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku TV TCL Black Screen on display

@njrichie

Thanks for the post.

We would recommend performing the following recovery procedure for TCL Roku TVs that are displaying a blank screen:

1. While the TV is on the black screen, press and hold the Reset button (located on the back of the TV) until the TV shows a recovery screen (press and hold for about 30 seconds).
  2. Once the recovery screen is shown, follow the prompts displayed on the screen, to connect to your wireless network.
  3. After connecting to your wireless network, the TV should perform a firmware update and reboot to Home screen successfully.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
njrichie
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku TV TCL Black Screen on display

OK, its working now. You guys must have uploaded a corrected software package and I was able to restore the TV now. I did the same thing earlier today and it didn't work. 

Thank You!

Ronny4
Channel Surfer

TCL Roku tv is on Black Screen 10/27/2022

My tv is so Black Screen. I tried a factory reset and it did not work. It was working just fine yesterday. I don’t know if there was an update and it caused this to happen. I can hear the sounds but no picture. I also unplugged for 30 sec but to no avail. If you can please help me out with any update on this situation I would truly appreciate it thanks. 

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: TCL Roku tv is on Black Screen 10/27/2022

Hi @Ronny4,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Can you please provide us with the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 
Once we have this information, we can pass it on to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Ronny4
Channel Surfer

Hi Mary, 

yes the screen is ON but the Screen is Black. It’s not a particular channel. I have already tried the Factory reset button on the back of my 75” inch tv and it did not work. It was working fine yesterday. The Model #75S421

serial number# 2007GTC007966A00538 

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Ronny4,

Thanks for keeping in touch and providing the additional information.

We also recommend following the recovery troubleshooting steps posted by @RokuDanny-R for TCL Roku TVs that are displaying a blank screen:

1. While the TV is on the black screen, press and hold the Reset button (located on the back of the TV) until the TV shows a recovery screen (press and hold for about 30 seconds).
  2. Once the recovery screen is shown, follow the prompts displayed on the screen, to connect to your wireless network.
  3. After connecting to your wireless network, the TV should perform a firmware update and reboot to the Home screen successfully.

Please try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing. Keep us posted.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Ronny4
Channel Surfer

I pressed the RESET BUTTON AND IT STAYED BLACK. What update did you guys do to cause this… There has to be another update to fix this situation!.. again I have 

Model: 75S421 

TCL 75 inch Class 4 Series 4K UHD HDR Roku smart tv! 
please message me with some results not a copy and paste answer. The Reset option is not working and I have a Black Screen tv that is perfectly fine but your update damaged it! Please have a manager reach out to me to fix this ASAP! 

njrichie
Reel Rookie

You have to put an end of paper clip in the hole on it and keep putting constant pressure on it. Its not a button that you just press. The power light will begin to flash and at that point the opening screen comes on pull OUT the paper clip and then you should get to the purple recovery screen. Just follow the directions on the recovery screen.

Ronny4
Channel Surfer

Okay I just did that held the paper clip the lights were flashing and the opening screen stayed black and no purple screen….. I took out the paper clip because didn’t see anything happen besides the flashing lights. 

0 Kudos