cjsalzano
Binge Watcher

Muffled music audio on streambar

Having audio trouble with my Roku stream Bar that is about 2 years old. 

Another Roku user posted the identical problem, when watching a TV show such as the Grammys where there is a combination of speaking audio and the musical performances all sounds great with the speaking audio but when they switch to a musical performance the sound is very muted, muffled, almost like the singers microphone is turned off yet we still hear them faintly from the nearby guitarists microphone.

The other Roku user is dgray3825.

Exact symptoms the other day during super bowl the game sounded fine but during halftime I could barely hear usher singing, if I turned up the volume to 30 or more I could hear it a bit better but still didn't sound very good.

There are lots of other Roku users posting similar problems and unfortunately you don't post any follow-up or resolutions you often just mention that you are handling with them directly and not on this forum.

Thanks for any help

Labels (1)
19 REPLIES 19
cjsalzano
Binge Watcher

Re: Muffled music audio on streambar

To add to the original post..

Model 9102x

SN  2A11A4030716

0 Kudos
cjsalzano
Binge Watcher

Another follow-on to the original post....

I tried a troubleshooting technique from a different Roku user on similar problem, mute the sound on the Roku stream bar and turn up the volume on the TV to see if the same problem occurs through the TV speakers. Interestingly, when I press mute on the Roku or turn the volume down to level one or two and turn up the TV volume I get no sound out of the TV regardless of how high I turn the volume on the TV.

Not sure if this is significant but wanted to add it to the original post

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @cjsalzano,

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community, and thanks for the additional information!

We understand you're having issues with your Roku streambar. We're happy to help you. Please try to restart your Roku streambar by going to settings, system, power, and system restart.

Let us know how it works, and we will continue to assist you further.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
cjsalzano
Binge Watcher

Thanks for the response.

I did all the basics, restarted the router, restarted the Roku box but this problem continues.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@cjsalzano,

Thanks for the update!

I'd like to know if this happens across all the channels on the platform. In addition, we'd like to know when you started seeing this.

Also, I'd like you to take a closer look at some additional information on our support page here: How to use volume modes on your Roku® streaming device

Please keep us posted!

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
kennedy
Reel Rookie

Having this same issue. No matter the audio setting, background music is a far lower volume than any dialogue.

0 Kudos
cjsalzano
Binge Watcher

Yes, I tried the various volume modes but no improvement. Right now I have it set to standard, I tried movie, night, music etc some slight variation but generally the same problem. I also tried leveling on and off but also no improvement.

0 Kudos
cjsalzano
Binge Watcher

Is there a way to disable audio completely on the Roku stream Bar and let it function only as the Roku device but let all of the audio come out only from the TV speakers?

I thought this would be another way to troubleshoot this muffled sound problem but I can't get it to work.

If I turn down, or mute the volume on the Roku device, and turn up the volume on the TV there is no sound at all at the TV, assuming that when I turn down the volume on the Roku device it's also turning down audio on the HDMI cable down to the TV?

Is there any way to disable audio completely on the Roku stream Bar to let the TV play the audio?

0 Kudos
LynnMendez5
Reel Rookie

Several Roku users, including dgray3825, are experiencing audio issues during musical performances, with sound becoming muted or muffled. Despite numerous reports, resolutions are elusive, leaving users frustrated with unclear follow-ups from Roku support.