Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
E-rider
Reel Rookie

Re: Problem With Alexa + Roku TV

Jump to solution

Alexa app is still not able to change live tv channel saying ".. something went wrong". Been like this for several months. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Jyynx
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I just got a TCL Roku Smart TV and my Firecube turns the tv off but not on. It doesn't do any volume control with voice commands, just controls the firecube interface. Please help 😞

0 Kudos
DisPeggy
Binge Watcher

Problem With Alexa + Roku TV: Thinking but won't turn on or off

Jump to solution

Anyone have this issue after the TCL Roku update to 10.5.0 Build 4201-93:  When you issue a command, e.g. Alexa, Roku On, the TV shows the Thinking rectangular window in the upper right hand corner and a spinning circle, but never turns on the TV.  After 10 seconds or so, the command prompt on the TV disappears.

Saber327

Jump to solution

Mine still does not work. I have to turn of my tv first for the commands to start working. But they only work for a short period of time. Like if I consistently give it commands it works. But if I walk away for 15 minutes it does do anything. I’m using the Amazon Dot ( the newest smallest version). When I say Alexa turn on my tv it says ok, then nothing happens. When I say Alexa turn on my tv and go to YouTube, it says. Sorry I’m not able to do that right now, need to enable this this and this. I hope this was in depth enough. - Carter Franklin

0 Kudos
luminos

Jump to solution

i had the same problem, my echo dot wont turn on or off my roku tv only say "processing" and nothing happend, i had the 10.5 update

0 Kudos
TVUser423

Jump to solution

Mine is not working I have two Roku TVs that work and one that doesn't. They all have the same settings. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@luminos @TVUser423

Thanks for the posts.

If you are unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
-what troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue

Once we have this information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DisPeggy
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Today, I tried something new.  

Here is an update on my Thinking... problem while using Alexa to turn on / off my TCL Roku TV.  If I use the Roku app for IOS installed on my iPhone 12 to turn on the TV using the app microphone button by saying "Turn on Roku", the TV turns on.  Then,  within 5 seconds or so, no longer, you can say "Echo, Turn off Roku" and the TV will turn off using the command issued from the Echo Dot.  Then, waiting no more than 5 seconds, say "Echo, Turn on Roku" the TV will turn on.  If you wait longer than 5 or so seconds, the Amazon Echo will no longer work to turn on or off the TV and it just says "Thinking..."

So, I think we can finally say that it isn't a configuration issue but a software bug.  Seems like something in the Roku app "opens" a communications windows where commands will work, either from the Roku App or an Alexa device.  Once this windows closes, the Alexa app will no longer route the commands correctly.

Hope this helps. I would be interested to see if others have this same problem and if we can get a Roku engineer to comment on the escalation of my ticket 5090624.
0 Kudos
Jmonroe

Jump to solution

Same issue with 2 tcl Roku tvs that worked fine until December software update that caused "thinking" and no result.

Disappointing since these TV's are 400 miles away in my parents skilled nursing facility and I can no longer remotely help them turn on/off or adjust volume so we can use Alexa device without screaming.

0 Kudos
NJM1
Reel Rookie

Re: How to fix Alexa not controlling my Roku TV

Jump to solution

Here is more detail as requested. My Alexa will turn on and off my Roku TV but it will not execute commands like launch Netflix on Roku, Alexa says it cannot do that on Roku and asks if I want to launch Netflix if on my Fire TV.

Obviously since Alexa can turn on and off my Roku TV it is connected and enabled but does not execute any other skills.

0 Kudos