Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Loverbird
Channel Surfer

HBO Max Not Keeping Track of Series Viewing Progress

Jump to solution

Since HBO just changed to Max, it doesn’t keep track of my viewing progress when I watch a series with seveal seasons/episodes. I manually have to keep track of the episodes watched so I know which episode comes next. Anyone else have this issue?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: HBO Max Not Keeping Track of Series Viewing Progress

Jump to solution

Hi Community users!

Thanks for letting us know about the concern you have encountered with the MAX not being able to track your viewing progress. 

This issue of MAX not keeping track of viewing progress might be addressed by directly contacting the channel provider's support and letting them know about this ongoing issue. Most channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel providers themselves.

We appreciate your understanding regarding this matter.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Loverbird,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We're sorry to hear about the playback issue with the channel. Have you tried to remove the channel to see if it helps? If you haven't tried it yet, you can remove the affected channel and reinstall it.

To ensure the process is successful, restart your device before adding the channel again. We recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power > System restart (if you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).

Checking for a manual update to see if the issue is still occurring. To check for a manual update, navigate to Home > Settings > System > System update > Check now.

For additional information, see these support site resources:

If the issue remains unresolved, I'd recommend reaching out to the channel provider directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
byrdmanz
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes, I have the same issue. I also had an audio/video sync issue with Discovery shows.

Loverbird
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yes, I have an audio/video sync issue when I watch programming through my provider, Xfinity.

0 Kudos
lita0719
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same issue. For any series started in Max since the switchover, the app does not keep track of all episodes watched on a given session, except for the very first one. When I return to the show later that day or next (for a new session), it asks if I want to start with episode 1 regardless of where I actually were. So I manually choose the correct next episode. And when I end that new session, only the episode I manually started with is recorded as having been watched, not any other ones. Then at next viewing session, the erroneous cycle repeats!

Observation: I had two series in-progress when the switch took place, and both of them picked up exactly where I had left them while the app was HBO Max. The issue, at least in my case, is if the show is started in Max.

Solutions I have tried: I have signed out (not just exited) from Max, deleted the app, done a system restart of Roku, reinstalled the Max app, restarted Roku again, signed up again into Max, restarted Roku once again… and the problem is still there! I see lots of similar complaints on Reddit.

At this point I will do nothing else and wait for a technical resolution from either the app people and/or Roku techies. Someone deployed a troubled app, and it’s only fair to users that a corrected version be re-deployed. Or cancel the Max subscription. Many other options out there that actually work.

Loverbird
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks so much for this response. I was afraid I was the only one who had this problem but it appears others do, too, and I saw similar posts on Reddit. I am hoping the streaming wizards at HBO will figure it out fairly soon as I don’t have any issue with the other streaming platforms, I.e. Netflix, Prime, etc.

landolakes

Jump to solution

Following. I am also having this issue. At first I thought it was just my two roku tv's not talking to each other about the show I'm watching on Max app, but even on the same TV it is inconsistent & the show I'm 10 episodes into doesn't even show up in "recently watched" so every time I open the app I have to search for the show and remember where I was...

TTRams
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Checking in to confirm that it's a problem Roku. Deleting the app and adding it back appears to have solved my problem.

0 Kudos
mockingjay
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am having the same exact issue. It's frustrating. They need to.fix this soon, otherwise,  I will cancel my subscription and watch movies on Netflix, Hulu,  and Paramount. 

Loverbird
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Are you referring to the Roku or Max app re deleting it and adding it back in?

0 Kudos