ScottCal
Streaming Star

Fix for audio delay to older rcvr?

Jump to solution

I'd imagine this has been discussed, but a search won't turn it up for me. Please point me to discussion if I'm duplicating—with apologies.
I just got a new (it's my fourth Roku) Express 4K+. It's beautiful. My TV is an Insignia (Best Buy) from a few years back (got it cheap on a marketplace), but it's great. Unfortunately, its OS is FireTV. Through HDMI, the Roku looks superior to Fire, and I just like to use Roku. For audio, I have an OLDER Onkyo 7.1 with HDMI in and out, and optical but not ARC. Its passthrough is only 1080. So while my previous Rokus were plugged into the receiver, and it fed video to an (older, 1080) TV, the audio was great. Now I have to plug the Express directly into the TV for 4K and use the optical from the TV to get sound into my receiver. HOWEVER, there is a delay! Dialogue is a few milliseconds off from the video (actors' lips). For instance, if I watch Max from Roku through TV (TV audio out to receiver), there's an audio lag. If I switch to native Fire and watch Max, there is no audio delay to the receiver. 😞 I prefer to stick to the Roku, though.
I was hoping an HDMI splitter would take care of this—video to TV, audio to Onkyo, but I've read that most splitters won't do 4K to TV and 1080 to the other output. As the Roku was on sale here ($23.99!) and, eventually, I'll HAVE to get a new receiver, I don't want to spend a bunch on a specialized splitter—maybe up to $30. Plus... I can watch important things through the Fire interface. 😞 Any suggestions how to get rid of that sound lag? Again, to clarify, I can't plug the Roku directly into the receiver and pass back video to the TV because receiver only goes up to 1080.
Thank you!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Fix for audio delay to older rcvr?

Jump to solution

@ScottCalMy Milestone Card wrote:

I'd imagine this has been discussed, but a search won't turn it up for me. Please point me to discussion if I'm duplicating—with apologies.
I just got a new (it's my fourth Roku) Express 4K+. It's beautiful. My TV is an Insignia (Best Buy) from a few years back (got it cheap on a marketplace), but it's great. Unfortunately, its OS is FireTV. Through HDMI, the Roku looks superior to Fire, and I just like to use Roku. For audio, I have an OLDER Onkyo 7.1 with HDMI in and out, and optical but not ARC. Its passthrough is only 1080. So while my previous Rokus were plugged into the receiver, and it fed video to an (older, 1080) TV, the audio was great. Now I have to plug the Express directly into the TV for 4K and use the optical from the TV to get sound into my receiver. HOWEVER, there is a delay! Dialogue is a few milliseconds off from the video (actors' lips). For instance, if I watch Max from Roku through TV (TV audio out to receiver), there's an audio lag. If I switch to native Fire and watch Max, there is no audio delay to the receiver. 😞 I prefer to stick to the Roku, though.
I was hoping an HDMI splitter would take care of this—video to TV, audio to Onkyo, but I've read that most splitters won't do 4K to TV and 1080 to the other output. As the Roku was on sale here ($23.99!) and, eventually, I'll HAVE to get a new receiver, I don't want to spend a bunch on a specialized splitter—maybe up to $30. Plus... I can watch important things through the Fire interface. 😞 Any suggestions how to get rid of that sound lag? Again, to clarify, I can't plug the Roku directly into the receiver and pass back video to the TV because receiver only goes up to 1080.
Thank you!

Hello,

Audio delay issues can be quite frustrating, especially when you’re looking forward to enjoying your media with perfect sync. Here’s a method you can try to fix the audio delay issue:

Adjust the Audio Delay Settings on Your Receiver: Check if your Onkyo receiver has an option to adjust the audio delay or ‘lip-sync’ settings. This feature is designed to delay the audio to match the video’s timing. The exact steps can vary, but you’ll typically find this option in the ‘Audio’ or ‘Sound’ settings menu of your receiver.

TV Sound Settings: Some TVs also have an option to adjust audio timing. Look for ‘Audio Delay’ or similar settings in your TV’s sound menu.

Test Different Sources: As you’ve noticed different behavior with Roku and FireTV, it’s worth testing other HDMI inputs and content sources to see if the delay persists across all inputs.

Firmware Updates: Ensure that both your TV and receiver have the latest firmware updates, as manufacturers often release patches for issues like audio delay.

Cable Check: Although you’re using an optical cable, it’s still a good idea to check all connections to ensure they’re secure and consider trying a different optical cable if possible.

External Audio Delay Unit: If the receiver’s internal settings don’t provide enough delay adjustment, you might need an external audio delay unit to assist the inboard delay.

HDMI Splitter: While you’ve read that most splitters won’t support 4K and 1080 simultaneously, there might be some that do. It could be worth looking into splitters that specifically mention support for different resolutions on different outputs.

I hope the information may helps you. 

Best regards,
Yvonne Rhodes

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Jump to solution

@ScottCalMy Milestone Card wrote:

Thank you!

Hello,

Audio delay issues can be quite frustrating, especially when you’re looking forward to enjoying your media with perfect sync. Here’s a method you can try to fix the audio delay issue:

Adjust the Audio Delay Settings on Your Receiver: Check if your Onkyo receiver has an option to adjust the audio delay or ‘lip-sync’ settings. This feature is designed to delay the audio to match the video’s timing. The exact steps can vary, but you’ll typically find this option in the ‘Audio’ or ‘Sound’ settings menu of your receiver.

TV Sound Settings: Some TVs also have an option to adjust audio timing. Look for ‘Audio Delay’ or similar settings in your TV’s sound menu.

Test Different Sources: As you’ve noticed different behavior with Roku and FireTV, it’s worth testing other HDMI inputs and content sources to see if the delay persists across all inputs.

Firmware Updates: Ensure that both your TV and receiver have the latest firmware updates, as manufacturers often release patches for issues like audio delay.

Cable Check: Although you’re using an optical cable, it’s still a good idea to check all connections to ensure they’re secure and consider trying a different optical cable if possible.

External Audio Delay Unit: If the receiver’s internal settings don’t provide enough delay adjustment, you might need an external audio delay unit to assist the inboard delay.

HDMI Splitter: While you’ve read that most splitters won’t support 4K and 1080 simultaneously, there might be some that do. It could be worth looking into splitters that specifically mention support for different resolutions on different outputs.

I hope the information may helps you. 

Best regards,
Yvonne Rhodes

ScottCal
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thank you, Yvonne!

It’s funny how the delay varies! Sometimes it’s not even present. It was especially notable on a long, streaming series (Sopranos) I was watching on Max. As I’ve watched various streaming channels, shows, and movies, I’ve begun to think that maybe it’s actually bad dialogue looping that I’ve never noticed on my 1080 set! So I’ve kind of settled into not noticing it when it happens.

My receiver has a delay setting, but it’s at zero. It only delays it more, when employed, not less. The TV does not have such a setting.

HDMI connections seem secure (in fact, some of the cables I’ve got are new and high quality), but it’s through the optical because my receiver doesn’t do ARC nor output 4K to the TV. If it begins to bother me again, I will try an HDMI splitter from my Roku, feeding one to the TV and another full HDMI signal to my receiver. As I used to have the Roku plugged directly into the receiver, with no delay, that might work.

Thank you very much for all the info!

Best,

Scott

0 Kudos