Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Radman
Reel Rookie

ESPN Plus has hijacked my Roku TV

We came home tonight to the very same problem. After powering on Roku TCL TV, the screen goes immediately to ESPN+ app, and will not respond to remote control commands, other than making delayed, loud clicks after pressing remote buttons. Oddly, using the remote from a different ROKU TV, there is some delayed and inconsistent control of the tv. I tried a full reset with the reset button on the side panel, as well as a full factory reset through the remote menu (which was very hard to navigate through, due to the wonky remote response). Neither reset solved the problem. As of now, the TV is essentially useless and unplugged. Anyone else had a similar problem?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: ESPN Plus has hijacked my Roku

Hi @Radman

Thanks for your post. 

We're sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing with your Roku TV. Have you tried to remove the ESPN channel then restart your Roku TV and see if there's any difference? If you can still control your Roku TV, we suggest you do this from the Settings menu

1. Press Home  on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
  5. Select System restart

If you still see the issues with your Roku TV. Try contacting the TV manufacturer to inquire further. I'd suggest starting there to see what options or suggestions they can provide. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS.

You can reach them here: TCL Support or call at 1-877-300-8837

Keep us posted on how it goes. 

Regards,
Nimfa 

0 Kudos
Radman
Reel Rookie

Well, the issue seems to have resolved itself. As previously posted, I had tried system reset from within the ROKU TV "Settings/System" menu, as well as a full factory reset, with the reset button on the side panel of the TV, and reconnecting to home network both wired and wireless. All of these measures failed, with the TV, each time, defaulting to the weird state of very lagging remote control response, and automatically reverting to the ESPN+ app home screen. I subsequently removed the TV from it's location, and replaced it with another Roku TV that was seeing little use in my office. The dysfunctional TV then sat, unplugged, on my bathroom vanity for about 48 hours, as I had planned to contact TCL support for any further advice. To my surprise, the next time I plugged in the TV and powered it up, it was working as it should, with good remote response, and all of my apps/channels displaying normally. The ESPN app was still installed, but was starting up normally, in response to remote control.

I am wondering if the symptoms were caused by someone accessing their own ESPN account from within my WiFi network (we had a house sitter staying at our home several days just prior to this issue developing. I may never know for sure.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@Radman

Thanks for following up. 

It's great to hear that the matter has been resolved. We may unable to identify the reason behind the issue because it has already been resolved but we sincerely appreciate your effort in troubleshooting the Roku TV.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to us if there is any further assistance we may provide for you.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos