Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jogojob

Does Roku keep apps running in background?

I used to use a really awful old fire stick, it was supremely laggy.

Every now and then I had to go through and manually force stop the applications I wasn’t using, this would always drastically improve performance.

Is this a thing with Roku?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Does Roku keep apps running in background?

No.  When you exit an app or press Home on your remote the app is effectively killed.  When a screensaver runs, the current app may continue running in the background, although its execution is mostly suspended.  Other than that, Roku devices can't run two apps at the same time.  There's some system stuff (like checking for and maybe installing updates and downloading ads) that will happen while it's on the Home Screen and analyzing network traffic there's plenty of Netflix stuff that happens (Netflix has always been "special" and doesn't play by the same rules as other apps), but that's about it.  That doesn't mean that a "System restart" once in a while isn't helpful like rebooting any computer and should be the first thing tried when having any kind of issue.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos