Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute Resolution on old Philips Roku TV with no remote/internet hooked up

So I have a old phillips tv that has roku on it, and when I say old I mean 8 years or so. I recently plugged a playstation into it because it was just sitting in the spare room not being used as it has no remote, it worked great just using the single button on the back to switch inputs but now all of a sudden despite it not being connected to the internet or me using any of the roku **bleep** on it I have a pop up with dispute resolution terms every time I turn it on that I cannot clear as I don't have a fking remote. I would accept it if I could.. Just to get it out of my **bleep** face. Any solutions to this? Though judging with how helpful roku seems to be around here I won't hold my breath and will probably be forced to buy a new TV, I can tell you right now it won't be a roku or phillips. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Chazrilla

Re: Dispute Resolution on old TV with no remote/internet hooked up

I'm adding to this discussion hoping to get more visibility on this issue. My roku TV has this pop up, also without a remote and no internet connection. Using the roku app as a remote is impossible because that requires an IP address which I can't get to because the TV is stuck on the pop-up.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Try factory resetting it and don't connect it to any network to just use it as a "dumb" TV, but you'll still probably need a remote.  A cheap universal remote would do.

How to factory reset your Roku® streaming device | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Farewell

Hello everyone: 

Yes, I agree this nefarious tactic is unacceptable!  I also have a Phillips Roku TV and had the same issue. Don't blame Phillips though, this wicked trick is all Roku! 

I can add my rant that Roku is a streaming platform only and does not have the right to disable other features of their HOST TV that are unrelated to streaming. Which is exactly what this coercive, forced attempt to elicit an acceptance of unreasonable arbitration terms does. 

After several conversations with Roku customer service and their technical support, the response ultimately was, 'too bad, press accept, or you don't get to use your TV.' Roku's useless response to their customer's request/inquiry was given after an unreasonable amount of hold time and numerous transfers to other departments, might I add.  Plus, one of their technical "support" phone agents was sarcastically sucking their tongue and expressing the exasperated, "ugh," when I refused to accept the response. I asked to speak to a supervisor, was told they were on another call and would call me back. There was no call back.

Overall, my Roku customer service/support experience was so shockingly unprofessional and unacceptable, it has permanently ended any current or future business association with this streaming platform. There are just too many other streaming platform options out there to tolerate this nonsense!    

In contrast, I spoke with Phillips customer service and also received the reset solution suggested by another user in the thread above. Phillips support was patient, effective, polite, prompt, and responsive. Unfortunately, my TV can't be connected to the internet without Roku resending their "virus," so I am going to try to plug in another external streaming platform's player like Chromecast or Fire. If that doesn't work, I am going to request a refund or replacement from Phillips as my TV is still under warranty.

Regardless of the outcome, I thought the retailer I purchased the TV from as well as the manufacturer of the TV should know about Roku's predatory practices.  I encourage you and any other frustrated user(s) to report this incident to the FCC.  Another user suggested to just send the letter to opt out, but in my opinion that only allows Roku to continue to bully their customers and funds any future predatory business practices.  

Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Dispute Resolution on old Philips Roku TV with no remote/internet hooked up

@noremotecntr wrote:

but now all of a sudden despite it not being connected to the internet or

Are your sure it’s not connected to the internet??? I can’t figure out how a thing not connected to the internet could know about a new notification.  I suspect it has been connected all the time, meaning the Roku app should work for you as a remote.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
HellBound
Streaming Star

Re: Dispute Resolution on old Philips Roku TV with no remote/internet hooked up

Don't trust Roku. If your TV was previously connected to WiFi and you disconnected it, Roku may connect to it for updates even though you think it is not connected. People have been saying they have had to reset their WiFi password before factory resetting the TV or they continue to get the Dispute Resolution prompt. I have not attempted this yet myself though. I have way too many smart switches and devices to update if my WiFi password changes.

0 Kudos