Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kev2069666
Reel Rookie

4 tile homescreen option no longer available. Tv Reverted back to 3 tile grid.

Jump to solution

On my 65U6GR (software 12.5.5 build 4174-CH), the homescreen went back to 3 tiles today. Before it would give an option in the menus if you wanted smaller tiles under :Settings<Homescreen<Tile size (I think.).

I can't seem to find a way to find a way to change it back to 4 tiles per row on the home screen and it's annoying. Please give us an option like how it was before. Did my TV bug out? Did roku decide to drop the option?

The 3 tile rows take up too much screen space. 4 tile rows was great as there was less wasted space on screen. 5 tile rows would be good too. More options are NOT a bad thing. It's what I don't like about Apple and Google.Thx

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: 4 tile homescreen option no longer available. Tv Reverted back to 3 tile grid.

Jump to solution

This is a feature Roku  has been randomly testing for several months. It comes and goes as they get feedback. It also appears that the Continue Watching row also disappeared. They can track who has these options enabled, and maybe too many were not using them. Or maybe they have gathered their data, and more permanent settings will be in the upcoming OS13.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: 4 tile homescreen option no longer available. Tv Reverted back to 3 tile grid.

Jump to solution

This is a feature Roku  has been randomly testing for several months. It comes and goes as they get feedback. It also appears that the Continue Watching row also disappeared. They can track who has these options enabled, and maybe too many were not using them. Or maybe they have gathered their data, and more permanent settings will be in the upcoming OS13.

kev2069666
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I thought that was weird as well. Continue watching seemed to be replaced by roku ads showing shows to watch on their app so I disabled it.

Hopefully they give people the option again for both tile size and continue watching. Thx for the reply.

rszawisza

Jump to solution

I want the 4 tile home screen back or make it an option so those that want 3 tile or 4 tile can change the tile settings in the settings. Rz

Ozarklad

Jump to solution

My ultra also lost the 4 icons per row, plus so did my tcl TV. Also lost was continue watching, and the ultra right after the change turned on speech reader,I turned that off fast. I chatted with support and they said too people had many issues so they reverted. Argh! Helluva way to run a railroad. 

Jump to solution

Agreed! I spent at least an hour last night trying to figure out how to get the four columns back. Having at least the option to use the 4 tile grid would be nice.  The three tiles is just HUGE on the screen and wastes a ton of space. ☹️

Jump to solution

It can't be hard to make this a user setting. I much preferred the 4-app rows and it's very annoying to have the UI and app ordering just change like that.

Galaxy_Paul
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Agree 💯 with Kevin.

That option was deleted and a 3 x 3 grid of very large icons was imposed.

Please restore that option.  Give users the choice of how they want their Home Screen to look!

The “solution” here is not one.

reloftin
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm adding my voice to the others here who prefer the 4 tile option.  It also seems to be an unsatisfying experience to see a feature like this be added without notifying the users that it is a test and providing a path for feedback.  I thought it was a permanent change until it vanished.

If you have a way to run this up the chain, please let the decision-maker(s) know that there are people who DO WANT this feature.  If it's going to appear in a new software release, I hope it's soon.

Galaxy_Paul
Streaming Star

Re: Bring Back the Continue Watching row, too!

Jump to solution

Appreciate the chorus here calling for Roku to restore the OPTION for a 4x4 or 3x3 grid as viewers prefer.  Choice is key.

But I want to emphasize another feature that Kevin pointed out had been lost -- the Continue Watching row.  There is no longer an option to show a row of recently watched shows.  Continue Watching was discarded and replaced by Roku's Recommended Row.  

That's a shame.

The Continue Watching row was an incredibly helpful innovation.  It allowed us to return to shows we were watching, regardless of provider.  We relied on it.  It made using Roku so much easier -- more powerful -- and magically convenient.

When combined with the 4x4 grid, it let us see all of our channels and recently watched shows -- ON A SINGLE SCREEN!  The combination was great!

So, Roku, we urge you to bring both features back -- to restore them to their rightful place among the Home Screen options and let users select 3x3 or 4x4 grid and to Show/Hide the Continue Watching row as they see fit!