Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deebo70
Channel Surfer

SOLVED [10.5.0] TCLRokuTV update. DynamicContrast enabled during GameMode

SOLVED update 11.5.0 finally fixes the issue. I had to factory reset my tv for it to apply properly but the issue is finally fixed after almost a year long wait.

[10.5.0] TCLRokuTV Game mode keeps dimming image rapidly. [7 months still no fix]

In patch 10.5.0, a bug was introduced that kept DynamicContrast enabled when GameMode was also enabled despite the fact it says it is "unavailable."

All Inputs with game mode turned ON keeps adjusting the screen brightness even though the Dynamic Contrast is turned OFF/Not available. Inputs with game mode turned OFF do not have this issue and work properly. For example, when watching a show/playing a video game and the scene changes, the screen will flash brightly for half a second then quickly adjust back to the correct brightness. This is extremely frustrating and distracting especially for gaming.

All Tv information Provided below: 

Roku TV: C128X

TCL model: 43S425

Serial Number: X00000DHYL5L

Device ID: S03HD07HYL5L

Software Version: 10.5.0 • build 4210-93

Tracker ID: 5L-508-018

Labels (4)
13 REPLIES 13

Re: TCL Roku TV update 10.5.0 game mode keeps dimming image.

I am having this same issue. Very annoying! Please help!

Saints
Reel Rookie

Re: [10.5.0] TCL Roku TV update. Game mode keeps dimming image.

Same! It happens most noticeably on certain games on Nintendo Switch for me, though it does it on the Xbox and Playstation as well.

Doesn't happen with Game Mode Off, this only happened within the last month or two, so probably came with an update?

Game mode is a must though, the lag is too bad without it.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

We would be more than happy to look into this issue for you.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
-screenshot of the issue happening

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Deebo70
Channel Surfer

@RokuDanny-R 

The OS updated today, (I believe the previous build was 4010-93) and the issue is still present. However, now a new issue may be present. It could be a placebo effect but the input delay seems to be 35ms whether game mode is enabled, or disabled. Previously with game mode on, the delay was 25ms and if turned off it would be 50ms.

TrackerID: 5L-508-014

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Deebo70

Thanks for the post and information.

Can you provide a screenshot of the issue you are seeing so we can better understand the issue?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Deebo70
Channel Surfer

It's hard to easily capture a screenshot of the issue since it's the screen brightness adjusting very quickly. So the best I can do is simulate it with two pictures. 

So with dynamic contrast OFF it should look like the first picture. And when game mode is on, Dynamic Contrast is automatically disabled. But in this current rolu build, when game mode is ON the Dynamic Contrast stays on no matter what.  And will flash between the 2nd and 1st picture to adjust the screen brightness. It is frequent and annoying. For example if I am watching a show, each scene or camera change will flash dark to light for a split second causing it to be very distracting. Same with gaming. 

20211231_104801.jpg

20211231_104742.jpg

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Deebo70

Thanks for the information.

Can you please provide us a picture of the picture settings mode screen while on the affected input? We would like to see if the Dynamic Contrast setting is turned to on while game mode is on as well.
This screen can be seen by pressing the Star "*"  button on the Roku remote while on the input and going to "Picture settings" in the pop up menu.

In the meantime, I have passed along your concerns and information to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Saints
Reel Rookie

Has there been any update on a fix for this?
Can't believe it is still happening after months! Seriously needs a fix, noticed it is worse on the Nintendo Switch gaming console than either the Xbox Series X or PS5.
Have tried all the HDMI inputs with various consoles, and adjusting various settings as well as a TV Reset.
Just noticeably worse for me when gaming on the Nintendo Switch.

By the way - Game Mode is turned on and Dynamic Contrast is locked to "Not Available" for this.

0 Kudos
Deebo70
Channel Surfer

[10.5.0] TCLRokuTV Game mode keeps dimming image rapidly. [7 months still no fix]

All inputs with game mode turned ON keeps adjusting the screen brightness even though the Dynamic Contrast is turned OFF/Not available. Inputs with game mode turned OFF do not have this issue and work properly. For example, when watching a show/playing a video game and the scene changes the screen will flash brightly for half a second then quickly adjust back to the correct brightness. This is extremely frustrating and distracting especially for gaming.

[This next issue may be placebo effect.] Input delay appears to also be around 35ms when previously with game mode on, the delay was around 25ms. TrackerID: 5L-508-014

All Tv information Provided below: 

0 Kudos