Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Penny1972

Help with overheating device continues to shut off

Jump to solution

In the past two weeks, I have purchased two devices. One is the Roku Streaming Stick. I have used them both and in a matter of minutes, they overheat and shut off !!!

Is there a way to fix this or have a wasted my money?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Help ! Overheating Can't even watch an entire show ! It continues to shut off !!

Jump to solution

@Penny1972 

A couple of things you can do is to try using a power adapter at the wall outlet rather than using your TV's USB power port if currently doing so.  If your device did not come with a power adapter, try using a cell phone charging adapter 5volt, 1amp.  The power supply you are currently using may have an issue powering the Roku device properly, thus causing it to strain and overheat.

You can also try using a HDMI extender to get the Roku device a bit further from your device (especially the Roku Streaming Sticks).  Roku offers a free one for their Streaming Sticks, but is just a female to male HDMI cable so you can get a longer one in various stores like Best Buy, Walmart, etc.  The free one from Roku is located here  https://my.roku.com/hdmi

If using a Roku player, rather than Streaming Stick, you can also use a longer USB power cable (micro-USB connector on device side) and HDMI cable that will allow you to move the device further from TV.

Since this occured with two seperate devices, I would look at power supply initially.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Help ! Overheating Can't even watch an entire show ! It continues to shut off !!

Jump to solution

@Penny1972 

A couple of things you can do is to try using a power adapter at the wall outlet rather than using your TV's USB power port if currently doing so.  If your device did not come with a power adapter, try using a cell phone charging adapter 5volt, 1amp.  The power supply you are currently using may have an issue powering the Roku device properly, thus causing it to strain and overheat.

You can also try using a HDMI extender to get the Roku device a bit further from your device (especially the Roku Streaming Sticks).  Roku offers a free one for their Streaming Sticks, but is just a female to male HDMI cable so you can get a longer one in various stores like Best Buy, Walmart, etc.  The free one from Roku is located here  https://my.roku.com/hdmi

If using a Roku player, rather than Streaming Stick, you can also use a longer USB power cable (micro-USB connector on device side) and HDMI cable that will allow you to move the device further from TV.

Since this occured with two seperate devices, I would look at power supply initially.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
SheilaMRG2

Jump to solution

Great Roku offered this replacement back in April of this year and I haven't received one yet. Am not about to purchase another unit for it not to work. Tried watching a show and then a black screen appeared because the unit had gotten HOT AND SHUT DOWN

0 Kudos
SheilaMRG2

Re: Help with overheating device continues to shut off

Jump to solution

My sister just bought a new Samsung 70" TV and a Roku streaming stick just to watch football. It's only been 2 weeks and the Roku stick has BURNED OUT HER NEW TV.  You hear this high-pitched sound and the screen fades in and out then goes to a totally black screen. I don't know what kind of workmanship Roku is going through but it is BAD. I would not recommend Roku to anyone, again. Fear it made burned out another NEW TV.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Help with overheating device continues to shut off

Jump to solution

Hi @SheilaMRG2,

Thanks for letting us know about this issue going on and for making your first post here in the Roku Community.

We'd like to learn more about this and better understand it. Could you tell us a bit more about this? When you say burned out, do you see an overheat error message on the screen? Also, how is the device being powered? Is it directly connected to the USB port on the TV? Or to a wall outlet? Powering your device from a source that has enough power is recommended to avoid unnecessary behavior on the device.

Please let us know more about this so that we'll be able to further assist you.

Regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos