Community discussions

Connect with other Roku users to learn more about streaming, cord-cutting, finding your favorite content, or talk about the latest entertainment happenings. It's all on Roku!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
streaming_fan
Level 11

Re: Been streaming with Roku for one year. What did I learn so far?

@MilesT Interesting.  I think it would be fun watch UK TV for say a month.  Just to see what it's like and to compare.  But just to clarify, I will not be spending any money to watch any shows (UK or otherwise).  I just explore and enjoy all the free stuff I can find on Roku.  As I mentioned before, for free I can watch UK shows like Walks with my Dog, Wild at Heart, Where the Heart is, UK Antiques Road Show, and everything on the British Filmrise TV app.  I really like "Wild at Heart".  It's part family, part safari and part doctor.  A lot to like there all in one show.  "Mcleod's Daughters" is I think Australian but I really like that show, too.  

@DBDukes Dr. Who!  Oh, yes.  How did I miss that one?  

0 Kudos
MilesT
Level 14

@streaming_fan just out of interest, I checked what filmrise British TV has to offer.  Not a lot in the UK. I think the channel has geo-limited licenses to show British content outside the UK, but not inside. Which is a good deal for you, and if the free stuff is enough, well it's enough. 

From the channel description Filmrise British seems to favour content that had first run in the UK on main OTA broadcaster ITV (maybe C4), and probably a second run on either "Drama" (free OTA channel) or repeat channels ITV2/3 or "Four7".

Currently watching "Sanditon" box set via the free ITV hub app on Roku. (Sanditon is Jane Austen's unfinished book turned into a complete work by scriptwriters for a miniseries). 

Prior to getting Roku I used to watch a lot using my hard disk multichannel PVR device, recording free OTA content (terrestrial FreeView service) and timeshifting that.

Another one to look out for is "Father Brown" (the Chesterton detective stories, reset into late 1950's rural UK), and the somewhat similar "Grantchester" series.  

And "Belgravia" (from the writer of Downton Abbey).

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
MilesT
Level 14

@DBDukes wrote:

@streaming_fan wrote:

... I don't recognize a single one.  

[Rechecks list]

@MilesT wrote:
... Doctor Who...

Um...

And Torchwood is an anagram of Doctor Who (was the working title of the 2000's version of Doctor Who, until it became the title of a spin off series in the "whoniverse").  The less said about K9 and friends "whoniverse" series the better.

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
roxrex
Level 8

We have been streaming with Roku and Tablo for a couple of months. I did not know that I could get local channels by streaming Spectrum TV, so I had an antenna installed. That's why I have Tablo. So, with an antenna, Tablo, and 3 Roku Ultras, I am about $800 into my cord cutting. I am saving about $110 a month, so It will take me about 7 months to break even. I guess I may have wasted money on the antenna, but at least we will have TV if the internet goes down. It has been fun to be able to cut the cord. It has definitely been a learning curve for me and especially my wife. She is being a good sport about it though since it was my idea. It was tough to get use to not being able to key a number to change channels. Learning to use the favorites filter on Spectrum TV has made that easier. I have not yet learned how to pause and record with Roku Ultra. I got a flash drive and plugged it in, but the pause/ff buttons do not do anything when I am watching Spectrum TV. Does anybody have a hint for this? If I don't see any responses to this on this thread, I will start another thread.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@roxrex 

Not sure about any of the features re: Spectrum TV, but the USB port on your Roku Ultra device is for playing videos, audio, and viewing pictures.

Basically you put some some of the above media on a usb thumb drive, place the thumb drive into the USB port, and then use the Roku Media Player Channel/app to view this content.  (More advanced uses contain larger hard drives, using media servers, and the like).

The USB thumb drive regarding the Pause and Live TV OTA (over the air)  temporary recording (up to a certain number of minutes and available over for a period of time), is available on the RokuTV, not standalone Roku streaming boxes and players, like your Ultra, unfortunately.  The Roku devices do not have DVR capabilities, but you can subscribe to different  Channels/apps that have Cloud DVR services. I have never needed this since everything is pretty much on-demand now.

(How to use Roku Media Player to play your videos, music and photos -  https://support.roku.com/article/208754908)

----

Roku has recently updated their support pages which may help explain some of these features for you.  Of course, always feel free to ask in the Community as well.  Many users always willing to help.

----

You may have spent a little up front, but I think you will find it very freeing when you don't have to keep paying that annoying bill every month.  Depending on what you watch, you can certainly pay $0.00 a month with streaming and never run out of things to see.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660x, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941
roxrex
Level 8

Thank you. Your reply was very helpful.

demsd
Level 13

@streaming_fan wrote:
4.  Roku Premiere is just as good as Roku Ultra for watching shows.  The only real difference I could see was that with Ultra, the apps launch a little faster.  

Premiere or Premiere+? If it has the microSD slot, and you aren't using it, put one it. It will help channels load faster.

40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
demsd
Level 13

@AvsGunnar wrote:

I still miss arguing with the Customer Loyalty Department of the satellite companies (a.k.a Disguntled Customer Department) why I was paying 3x more than new customers, only to be rewarded for my "loyalty" with a pittance discount that would again mysteriously disappear from the bill.

This. Regardless of the type of service, they all have a way of making current customers feel less valued.

40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
0 Kudos
RM2FOSTER
Level 7

LOUDER THAN NECESSARY COMMERCIALS....

Volume leveling does not help one little bit...its my understanding this problem is manual and controlled by the tv station pumping to your home. Since there isn't a tv station it must be the streaming service, im thinking...trying to get the fcc to enforce current laws that forbid this is like pulling your own teeth...we need a LOUDER VOICE to make ROKU and other services to get some balls when it comes to their advertisers.!!!!

0 Kudos
overtimeman
Level 10

This time last year my cable company sent me a letter saying my bill was going to $220 a month for 56 analog channeis,110/10 internet,and a home phone that never was used.Before the end of last year I put up a Channel Master antenna.A new internet provider came into our area so I went with them.Everything was great untill all the leaves came back and half my channels disappeared and when the wind blows all will pixelate.So I streamed off the my Roku until we decided to go with youtube tv.Still a $100 cheaper than what I was going to have to pay.Tubi is my go to movie channel.Well I love college football season so there are some channels you just have to have to enjoy.Still Roku is #1!

I used to have a life before Roku!