Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Manolis
Reel Rookie

disney+ & prime in greece

I bought the roku express 4k for a store here in greece and i can't add the disney+ nor the prime video.

Both of them are currently streaming in Greece and i have an account on my smart tv. I wanted the mobility of roku so i bought one ,even the pictures on the box had the disney+ but i can't add them. is there something i can do or something that you can do now or in the future.

best regards

Manolis

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: disney+ & prime in greece

@Manolis 

Roku isn't supported there. Roku doesn't have official distribution channels in your country. I'm not doubting you bought it locally, but that was not through official channels. Probably imported from another country.

Most app developers, including those you mention, do not support their apps in regions where Roku itself is not supported.

Roku allows app developers to support apps anywhere, including regions where Roku itself isn't supported, but they allow them to not support as well. It's entirely up to the developer to determine where the app is supported.

'And no, it doesn't matter if Disney or any other service is supported on other platforms. If they choose to not support Roku (because Roku isn't supported itself) that is their decision.

What can you do about it? Nothing. Not until the app developer decided to support their app there. Even if Roku enters the market officially, that won't force Disney to support their app, but they probably would. For now, you won't be able to use those (or many) apps there.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Manolis
Reel Rookie

Thank you for your reply. 

0 Kudos
JSK1971

This is really frustrating. I would expect that as there is a supported devices list there would also be a supported region list. I did a lot of search prior to purchase a Roku Express, and there was not any reference regarding the case that you describe about Greece as a region. The fact that i bought it specifically for Disney+, makes it even worse.

It is an 3930EU, i thought it stands for Europe (including Greece)......

By the way, there is no "search" under Channel Store menu. Any comment on that? 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@JSK1971 wrote:
... By the way, there is no "search" under Channel Store menu. Any comment on that? 

Yes. Search is only available in a few regions. Roku supports 17, but search is only in a handful. My understanding is that it is being rolled out as they are able. That will probably not be available when Roku enters a new region.

@JSK1971 wrote:

... I would expect that as there is a supported devices list there would also be a supported region list. I did a lot of search prior to purchase a Roku Express, and there was not any reference regarding the case that you describe about Greece as a region. ..

Well, there kinda is. Go to Roku.com and scroll all the way down to the bottom right. See the Country Selector? There are the 17 supported regions right there. If you're outside those regions, it will be hit and miss. And for most apps, miss. Only a few app developers support apps outside those regions.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
YiorgosY

I am also in Greece and I have exactly the same issue. This is really frustrating especially since I got Roku in order to be able to watch all my streaming services on the same device. **bleep**.

0 Kudos
Vader1gr
Reel Rookie

So it seems we should throw it away and look for another device. 

DBDukes

@Vader1gr 

When you look for a different device, I'd suggest not buying imported items. If it's not sold in-country through proper channels, there's a reason.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
Vader1gr
Reel Rookie

Yes you are right. At least, even with the imported device we have Netflix, Apple TV, Apple Music, Spotify and TuneIn.

0 Kudos