Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davedeb

channels are linking to wrong zip code area getting local channels from out of area

Jump to solution

I live in Canyon/Ada County, but we are getting local channels through other side of state.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: channels are linking to wrong zip code area getting local channels from out of area

Jump to solution

@davedeb-

Roku devices have no provisions for receiving live over-the-air broadcasts. (Roku TVs with Roku capability built in DO have antenna inputs for this purpose.) So any network programming received on a Roku device must be streamed via one of the streaming channel apps that carry local channels (YouTube TV, fubu, Hulu + Live TV, etc.). It is that channel app that determines which locality's stations you get.

Some (all?) of these channel apps use the location indicated by the IP number assigned to you by your internet provider to determine your location. If your internet provider assigns or changes your IP number to one attached to one of its servers located in a different area, that could change the local stations you are provided.

You can use a website like https://www.iplocation.net/ to see where the IP number assigned by your internet provider indicates you are located. If this doesn't represent your actual area, contact your internet provider and ask to be reassigned an IP in your area.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
makaiguy

Re: channels are linking to wrong zip code area getting local channels from out of area

Jump to solution

@davedeb-

Roku devices have no provisions for receiving live over-the-air broadcasts. (Roku TVs with Roku capability built in DO have antenna inputs for this purpose.) So any network programming received on a Roku device must be streamed via one of the streaming channel apps that carry local channels (YouTube TV, fubu, Hulu + Live TV, etc.). It is that channel app that determines which locality's stations you get.

Some (all?) of these channel apps use the location indicated by the IP number assigned to you by your internet provider to determine your location. If your internet provider assigns or changes your IP number to one attached to one of its servers located in a different area, that could change the local stations you are provided.

You can use a website like https://www.iplocation.net/ to see where the IP number assigned by your internet provider indicates you are located. If this doesn't represent your actual area, contact your internet provider and ask to be reassigned an IP in your area.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Boz
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Then please explain the purpose of adding a zip code field in the Roku settings.  Thanks.

renojim

Jump to solution

@Boz, to be honest that's something I'd like to know myself.  It appeared in the settings with one of the recent updates and I've never bothered setting it.  There's the note, "Entering your ZIP Code helps improve TV program information", but I don't get any TV programs on any of my devices.  As far as I can tell it's only for Roku's use as there's nothing in the developer documentation for it, so don't expect it to be picked up by whatever channel/app you're using for your local stations.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I did this and my IP provider is located less than 3 miles from me.  Their zip and mine are the same, but I keep getting local programming from another state regardless of the zip code I enter on the device and on the website of the streaming providers.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I occasionally check my IP-based physical location at a bunch of sites.  Right now, most of them list me in the correct state, but in 4 different cities.  Another one lists me in a state 2000 miles away.  When you run any particular app, and that app wants to show you something based on your location, I wonder which service any of them might use.  I suspect they aren’t required to use any specific provider, and the one that’s 2000 miles off for me, might be the most accurate for someone else.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @tinwhistler,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for posting and we will do our best to assist you. If we understand it correctly, you are getting local channels that do not match your area.

We would like to ask you to attempt to try entering your zip code in the Settings menu on your Roku TV using the steps below.

1. Press Home  on your Roku TV remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select the Zip code and enter your zip code
  5. Press OK to update the zip code

IMPORTANT: After you enter your zip code, you need to set up the Live TV input again and let your Roku TV re-scan the "over-the-air" channels.

Please let us know if there's any difference after.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos