Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
steveis2
Channel Surfer

Youtube not working on my roku 3500EU

Hi,

It was working the day before yesterday but now when I try to access youtube the egg timer appears for a few seconds and then the screen goes blank and stays blank.

I've tried the various suggestions I can find on the internet but none of them work.

Is this a general problem for others or is it just my bad luck. Anyone have an idea what's going on?

Steve

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Z06
Roku Guru

Re: Youtube not working on my roku 3500EU

The Roku 3500 is almost 10 years old. Do all other channels work fine. It’s possible Google is having temporary issues on there end. Try restarting your Roku and see what happens 

0 Kudos
steveis2
Channel Surfer

Hi,

Everything else is working fine on the roku except for youtube. It was working a day or so ago so this is a recent thing. I've restarted and reset the roku and checked for updates etc but none of that has worked.

Youtube works ok on other devices like laptops and tablets but perhaps it's something to do with youtube running on the roku itself.

Steve

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

As mentioned, the 3500 is over eight years old, and is quite underpowered for today's apps/channels. YouTube is owned and maintained by Google, and it's possible they are dropping support for older devices. I have a Roku 2 XS (3100) that has the same processor as yours and is now over 10 years old. But it stopped working with YouTube many years ago.

You would need to contact Google to find out if they have dropped support for your player. But just remember that they sell a competing product (Chromecast), so they might tell you you need to replace it just to get you to buy one of theirs. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
dabo

Amazon Prime doesn't work either.

It's not clear if this has anything to do with You Tube or Amazon or if it is a deliberate bricking by Roku.

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

@dabo  if your Roku model is also a 3500, then Amazon and Google/YouTube may no longer support your Roku model in the future either.  As has been previously stated, the 3500 is 8 years old.  Probably time for you to upgrade to a newer Roku.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Roku has just announced that the 3500 (along with some other older models) are being moved to the legacy column. This means no more Roku support (no OS updates) and many channels will no longer support the players. Considering the 3500 was released in March 2014 (so it's now a seven year old device), I'm actually surprised it's been supported this long. Other players using the same architecture had already been moved to the legacy column. It's really not powerful enough to run the latest version of many channels, and that could be the issue with the Google channels no longer working correctly. But no, it's nothing deliberate by Roku themselves, as they don't control the functionality of channels provided by other services, and that's virtually all channels except The Roku Channel.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.