Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nastassja

Youtube kicks me off every 4 or so hours at random

Jump to solution

So Recently I've been having this problem with my Roku TV going back to the home screen after a certain amount of hours on Youtube, and other apps but I'm mostly on youtube. I like to put on music in the background as mindless noise. Well ever since I've been doing this, I've been kicked back to the home screen every 4 or so hours, and sometimes it won't happen at all. It's starting to really upset me cause I'm jamming out to music and then I'm kicked back to the home screen and eventually my tv turns off without me noticing. Is there any way at all to fix this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Youtube kicks me off every 4 or so hours at random

Jump to solution

Roku added a feature that checks every 4 hours for an active user, and if no remote button is pressed it will stop playback. This is to stop Internet usage when no one is using it, which is extremely important for people with data limits. This function is called Bandwidth Saver, and can be disabled in the Settings/Network menu.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
atc98092

Jump to solution

Roku added a feature that checks every 4 hours for an active user, and if no remote button is pressed it will stop playback. This is to stop Internet usage when no one is using it, which is extremely important for people with data limits. This function is called Bandwidth Saver, and can be disabled in the Settings/Network menu.

Dan

Kemo

Jump to solution

So mine does the same thing and the Bandwidth Saver is set to "Off".  Any other solution?

atc98092

Jump to solution

Some channels enforce a time limit without some user action with the remote. That is out of Roku's control, and nothing can be done about those. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Sfoy

Jump to solution

This is a reply that it is certain channels kick you off after 4 hours. Seems more likely that it is Roku issue. Or because I am using Youtube tv. It goes off after a few hours, every day!! Pretty tired of this. Tempted to see if it happens with a smart TV vs using a Roku stick. Anyone tried this?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Sfoy wrote:

This is a reply that it is certain channels kick you off after 4 hours. Seems more likely that it is Roku issue. 

No, Roku only has the one setting that can be disabled under Bandwidth Saver in the network settings. There is no other "timer" other than the screensaver, which only kicks in when you're on the home screen or a channel is coded to use the Roku screensaver if it detects lack of use. That lack of use is usually either sitting on the home screen of the channel or media playback being paused for whatever time they determine. If you're encountering individual channels stopping playback after a certain timeframe, it's not Roku doing it. 

I have encountered messages like that (asking if someone is still watching) on Netflix in the past, and perhaps Prime Video. I seldom watch anything so long the remote isn't used for something (selecting something else to watch, pausing playback to answer the phone) so I almost never leave the player untouched for so long.  

Dan